14

*Going to bed alone that night was difficult for Mia. She wasn't sure she would ever sleep through the night without Daryl. That was frustrating for her as she never wanted to be so dependent on someone. She had just become so used to falling asleep to Daryl's soothing warmth surrounding her, his hand sleepily stroking her belly. Even their baby's kicking had lessened in his absence.
With the birth of the baby approaching, Maggie had been spending more time with Mia. Jessie had been distracted with the death of her husband so Mia had gotten a lot closer with Maggie the past few weeks. Plus, Maggie had some experience with delivering babies so Mia really wanted Maggie close by.

"Don't you worry, Mia,"

Maggie said, gently patting Mia's belly, "Daryl will be back. Him and Glenn both."

"How are you so calm?"

Mia murmured, "I mean, aren't you scared? Having Glenn out there like that? For so long too."

"I'm petrified,"

Maggie replied, "But I'm holding it together. For him and for everyone here. You gotta hold it together too, ya know. Don't wanna stress yourself out too much with the baby coming and all. You have any names picked out yet?"

"Wasn't exactly something Daryl and I talked about,"

Mia said, "I thought we'd have more time. But then he had to leave and everything. I just...I don't want him to miss all this, ya know? But I'm so uncomfortable, I feel like he or she is coming any day."

"I know you want Daryl to be there for the birth,"

Maggie said, "And I know he does too. But think of this...even if he does miss it, he'll be there for his or her entire life and that'll be the most important part, right? Of course it would be sad for him to miss the birth but he'll be there for everything else."

Mia sighed, "I guess that's true. It was probably silly to just expect him to be back today. God, why can't he be back today?"

Shouting came faintly in the distance and Maggie jumped onto her feet. Mia grunted as she attempted to get up with her but could only lean over slightly as Maggie parted the curtains. Maggie frowned, "It's Rick. He's back. Damn."

"What?"

"He brought a horde with him,"

Maggie said with a sigh. Knowing Mia would go crazy if she was left behind, she hurried to help her onto her feet, "Come on."

Mia struggled to keep up with Maggie as the two of them hurried for the front gate. Rick threw himself through the gate, Aaron slamming it shut before the horde could break in. Once Rick was on his feet, he met everyone's gaze, staggering when he reached Mia's eyes.

"The horde got broken up,"

Rick explained, "Daryl, Sasha, and Abraham are still leading the bigger group away."

"He's still out there?"

Mia piped in, "You haven't heard from him? At all?"

"Daryl's tough, he's fine," Rick said, "I know it."

"That's the best you have?!"

Mia shouted, "I'm about to pop and he's out there and you don't know where he is?!"

"Mia, I don't know what to say,"

Rick mumbled, "I'm sorry, Mia. I thought this would go a lot smoother."