4

((Warning: fluff)

It had been at least an hour since the rain stopped. Mia and Daryl hadn’t said a word and the only noise surrounding the two of them were the drops of water leaking through the ceiling, hitting the linoleum floor below. Mia made conversation for a little while but Daryl realized soon after that she had fallen asleep in his arms. They should’ve started home but he didn’t have the heart to wake her up. Over time, she had slid down until her head was rested on his lap, her arms stretched out in front of her.

Mia’s bracelet caught Daryl’s attention once more and he was fighting the temptation to turn her wrist to see what was engraved on the bracelet. She always changed the subject whenever he noticed it or brought it up. Maybe he shouldn’t peek. He knew he wouldn’t want someone prying into his secrets. He wouldn’t want Mia asking him too many questions about his past.

Mia woke up before Daryl could make his decision. She sat up, rubbing her eyes,

Hm? How long have I been asleep?”

“I dunno,”

Daryl replied, “Haven’t really checked the time. It’s gonna get dark soon, Mia. Everyone’s probably wondering where we are. It stopped rainin’ so we’ll be fine. Come on.”

Daryl stood up and reached out for Mia’s hand. She smiled and grabbed his hand, squeezing so he wouldn’t let go even when he lifted her up. She chuckled, looking down at their wrinkly, still slightly damp clothes,

“Even though we kinda…ya know ended up stuck in the rain, I still had a nice afternoon with you.”

Me too,”

Daryl said as he approached the front door, running his tongue along his upper lip,

Looks like we’re mostly clear. Only a few walkers out there. You ready?”

Mia pulled out her knife and came up behind him with a nod, “I’m ready. Let’s go.”

Daryl threw open the door, catching the attention of every single walker stumbling by. There were only a few so it wasn’t as if they’d attracted a herd. Daryl had never seen Mia fight before but considering she’d been in Alexandria since the beginning, he figured she’d be too afraid. But he’d been so wrong.

Mia jumped into action, grabbing one walker by the back of the head and jamming her knife right into its eye, throwing it down on the ground, not breaking stride as she spun around to get a walker coming up behind her and she stabbed it right in the temple. It was almost hypnotic for him watching her move.

Once they were clear, Daryl started pulling his arrows from the heads of the walkers he’d taken out while Mia wiped off the walker blood on one of the walker’s shirts.

“You’re from Alexandria,”

Daryl remarked,

“How the hell did you know how to fight like that? No one else there seems to know.”

Because I didn’t start out in Alexandria,”

Mia explained,

“I was there since pretty much the beginning but the walls had been up for weeks by the time I got there. I still can’t say that I’ve seen the world for what it is like you can but I do know how to take care of myself.”

You were alone?”

Mia hung her head,

Not at first. But that’s how I ended up. If I hadn’t found Alexandria, damn…I’d probably be dead.”