𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

┍━━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━━┑

prologue

┕━━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━━┙

the vampire diaries, season 2, episode 21

A grin tugged on Athena Mikaelson's lips as she arrived at the quarry in Mystic Falls. She had arrived in the town the day before after her twin brother, Klaus, or Nik as she liked to call him, had called to inform that there was a human doppelgänger after he was sure that this would work and they wouldn't be betrayed like last time.

This was probably some of the best news she had received in a long time. That girl, Elena, could quite possibly be the twins' last hope into becoming true hybrids, what they were always meant to be and to keep their family safe. They had exhausted all other options, visited numerous witches to see if there was a way to break their curse binding their werewolf sides only to find out there was a doppelgänger. It was poetic really, this town was where they had been bound by their mother and now, it was where they would break that horrid curse and be free.

Tears streamed down Athena's rosy cheeks as her older brother, Finn, tied her up against the wooden plank, quietly pleading for him to let her go while her other older brother, Elijah, did the same to her twin beside her. She didn't want her werewolf side to be bound, especially not when she had just found out about it.

"Don't do this Finn, please." She choked out only to flinch as she heard her father's voice boom beside her, telling her to not speak to her elder brother.

Once the twins were tied up, their mother, who had betrayed them, began the spell to hide her indiscretions. The twins were blamed for their mother's infidelity as if they had any control over it, and now they were the ones who were going to suffer because of it.

As she walked further into the quarry, she could hear the doppelgänger pleading with their witch, Greta to let her and her aunt go. Athena chuckled, letting her presence be known to them. It seemed like they had attempted to meddle with their plans and so Klaus had gotten the girl's aunt for their vampire as the price for them to pay.

"Oh you poor girl," Athena started, her wicked grin growing as she saw Elena's fear-stricken face. "Do you really believe we'd let you go after we are so close to accomplishing what we came here to do?" She asked, her head tilting to the side as she walked around the ring of fire around Elena that Greta had created. It amused her to see how frightened the girl was of her, she quite literally had her life in her hands.

"We have plans for you, love," Athena told her, bending down forward slightly with her hands resting on her legs, narrowing her eyes on the girl.

Klaus then appeared, standing beside Athena. "I see you've all been acquainted with my sister here." He then leaned forward slightly, as if he was telling some secret to Elena when he said to her, "Between you and I, she can be a little mean." Earning an eye roll and a nudge in the gut from his sister.