𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ━━ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐝𝐢𝐞

┍━━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━━┑

fourteen  ━━ the dead don't die

fourteen ━━ the dead don't die

┕━━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━━┙

the vampire diaries, season 4, episode 1

"It's not so easy, is it? Seeing your loved ones in pain and not being able to do anything about it." She continued after Elijah and Rebekah had dispersed.

Athena gaped at her, her jaw slacked and eyes wide. "Rũna," The name easily slipped off of her tongue as if it hadn't been a thousand years since she'd seen her last.

"That's how I felt after what you did to me." The raven-haired woman continued as if her old lover had said nothing and walked forward, leaving her behind.

She winced at the not-so-subtle jab by Rũna. Of course, Athena remembered what happened to her because of what she did. She remembered the light of the first full moon after turning into vampires shining down on her, the bloodlust more intense than she'd ever experienced and her anger shooting through the roof as a result of everything that had happened in the past few months. She remembered the fight and the despair, the blood that covered her hands and mouth and Rũna's dead body in her grasp as every single one of her bones began to painfully crack, the light of the full moon still gleaming down on her as a wolf took her place for the very first time. Of course, she remembered waking up bare the next morning and having her heart broken at the loss of her first love being gone forever when she clung on to the cold pale body of the girl for dear life.

Seeing that Rũna had gotten quite ahead of her, Athena scrambled to catch up, speeding her pace as dawn broke and the blazing sun started to make its appearance.

As soon as she reached the raven-haired woman, she grabbed her arm gently and pulled her to a stop beside her. "What the fuck is going on? How can I even be with you?" She questioned, knowing that it wasn't possible to be able to interact with somebody on the other side ( unless you were a witch ).

Rũna let a smile grace her face, the same smile Athena recalled fawning over when she was human. Her heart thumped loudly, blood rushing to her face ( something that rarely ever happened because Athena Mikaelson surely never blushed! ) as she stepped closer to her, able to feel the heat radiating from her surprisingly warm body. Even after a millennium, Rũna still had the same effect on Athena.

She looked the exact same as she had when she died. Her raven hair cascaded down in waves to her waist, held back from her face by a few dainty braids with daisies integrated into them. Her face was bare of any makeup ( not that there was much to begin with a thousand years ago ) and she wore a simple brown cotton dress that fell to her feet, brushing against the ground when she walked. Not a single sign of her death anywhere to be seen. And Athena swore she'd never seen her look more alive than she did at the moment but she knew otherwise and she knew that Rũna was dead.