He Views You as a Friend

Hannah's POV:

I went into the bathroom and I was having such a great time with Austin. I walk in and I go straight to the mirror to make sure I still look ok. Then this girls walks up to me in a purple short dress.

???: Oh you must be Hannah! Austin has been telling me so much about you.

Hannah: H-hi who are you?

???: Oh sorry. I'm Jessica.

Is she the same Jessica that was texting Austin that same day? No it can't be. There are plenty of Jessicas in the world and it could be just a coincidence.

Hannah: Oh hi and may I ask how you know Austin?

Jessica: He was my boyfriend in freshman year. I know he still loves me. I can see it in his eyes and the way he talks to me.

Hannah: I'm sorry but I am his girlfriend so I am pretty sure he doesn't like you like that.

Jessica: You are his girlfriend? He has only said you were a friend when he talks about you to me. He talks about how great of a friend you are to him.

What? Is she being serious? Is he using me to make Jessica jealous? I can't believe he would do something like that.

Hannah: Oh well he asked me to be his girlfriend last week. Has he called me a friend in the last few days?

Jessica: He said it yesterday. I mean he was probably just making me jealous because he wants me back so badly. He has begged me multiple times.

Hannah: But he told me that you were toxic and that you controlled him and that he was the one to break up with you.

Jessica: He really said that? Here is the truth. I broke up with him because he was being to much. He would follow me everywhere I go and I couldn't talk to anyone, not even my girls He was so obsessed with me to the point where I had to cut him off. I mean he threatened me if I didn't take this picture with him and post it on social media.

I looked at her confused and heart broken. She took out her phone and showed me the picture. I don't say anything and I look in the mirror again trying to avoid eye contact. She makes eye contact with me in the mirror a couple seconds later.

Jessica: I'm just trying to look out for you. You know us girls always have to stay together. I don't want you to get too attached to him and then he breaks your little heart.

She smiles at me and then walks out of the bathroom. I continue to look at myself in the mirror with tears starting up in my eyes. She wasn't telling the truth right? Why would he play with my heart like that? He asked me to be his girlfriend. I need to talk to him about this.

I took at myself in the mirror for a little bit longer to the tears can go away. I take a deep breath and walk out of the bathroom. As soon as I walk out of the bathroom I see Austin talking to Jessica. Austin's back was faced me and Jessica was facing me. She makes eye contact and mouths "sorry" with a frown then she grabs Austin's face and kisses him.

Austin turns around and makes eye contact with me. The tears come back and I start to run out of the school. The last thing I heard before the door closed was...

Austin: Hannah wait!

Austin's POV:
(A couple minutes earlier)

I was pacing on the dance floor waiting for Hannah to come out of the bathroom. A couple minutes later I see Jessica come out smiling. She makes eye contact with me and starts heading towards me. I roll my eyes.

Jessica: Hey cutie.

Austin: Jessica we have talked this. I am not into you and you need to find someone new.

I tried to walk away but she stepped in my way.

Jessica: I talked to Hannah. She seemed nice.

Austin: You better not have told her any lies.

Jessica: I would never. However I think you are living in a lie. While I was in the bathroom she was on the phone with someone and said you were boring and she doesn't think that is working.

She looks behind me and mouths sorry. As I was about to look behind me Jessica grabs my face and kisses me. I push her back immediately and turn around. Hannah was there staring with her heart so broken you see it in her eyes. She runs away seconds later.

Austin: Hannah wait!

I run after her but then she slams the door in my face.