One: Just Maybe

One: Just Maybe

- - - - - Elsa - - - - -

I took one last look at his face on a large life-size poster, placed my hand over his cheek, "Night, Jack."

"Elsa, would you sleep now... PLEASE?", my sister Anna whined as she tossed and turned on her bed.

"Wait,", I finally let go of the poster. "I have to write him a letter again."

"And he's never gonna read it anyway.", she rolled her eyes.

I approached my study table and grabbed my teal pen-- which I bought only for writing letters to Jack, "With the amount of fan mails he gets, I'm sure he won't even if I send it."

"True.", Anna gave up on trying to get some sleep and sat on the bed. "What are you gonna write to him anyway?"

"I don't know...", I said to her, opening the pen cap. "Maybe about school... 'Cause he doesn't go to school, right?"

Anna snickered, "Too cool for school."

I rolled my eyes and took out a sheet of faded-out floral stationery paper.

Dear Jack,

It's me again... I wonder what you're up to when you're bored, 'cause right now, it's nine in the evening, and I don't wanna sleep. I want to do something, but I really don't know what to do... so I'm writing to you again.

Can you believe that this is the twenty-seventh letter I have written to you? It only seems like it was just yesterday when you appeared on the television screen in Dad's office. I could barely take my eyes off you, 'cause from that moment on, you changed my life.

Days were brighter, nights were shorter. Bacon tasted even baconier-- if that's even possible.

You were my inspiration, and I'm just not like those other girls who swoon over you. I am not a fangirl. I am just this simple girl who dreams that one day, I would meet you and we would actually fall in love and blah blah blah. But I know that's pretty far from happening, but I am still hopeful.

I still hope that one day you'll get to read this letter, maybe at least fish it out of your endless sacks of kissed envelopes. I want to be a part of your world... not as part of a group of your fans, but as just me, Elsa. I want you to know who I am, and be a part of my life. Wait, you already are, but still.

By the way, how do you manage to learn Calculus without a real teacher, or a classmate who will let you copy his answers? 'Cause I think that's pretty tough to never go through a real high school. But that's cool too because you don't have to feel the torture of hours and hours of teachers barking out orders at you or the never ending bell ringing. You're lucky to travel the world whenever you feel like it, and do everything that you want in your life.

Stay that way and be happy. Don't let fame and fortune overcome you-- unlike other strayed stars.

Hope you could reply to this letter... I've asked for you to write back roughly twenty-seven times as well, and it would really make my day if you could.

Love, Elsa

I closed the cap and looked up at the ceiling with so much hope. Someday. Just someday.

"Oh, sis.", Anna threw a plush toy at me. "You got it real bad."

"I know.", I sighed dreamily as I sealed the envelope of the letter.

I placed a gentle kiss on the tinted flaps, and crawled down underneath my bed.

"You really aren't sending them?", Anna said with a tint of a whine in her voice.

I frowned, "I'm afraid of him throwing them away or sending them to a shredder. These mean a lot to me, and I want to keep them here as long as the suitcase can hold it."

"Whatever you say, Els.", she tucked herself back into her bed.

Shaking my head, I grabbed the leather handle of the suitcase.

It was a small round floral suitcase that my mother gave me a few days before she died. It was instant. Unexpected.

She just came home from work one night, slept on the couch... and never woke up.

Mom gave me the suitcase because I was the first one she remembered when she saw the suitcase in a vintage shop in her trip to London. She told me to put anything that I love inside, my deepest fears and secrets.

And that's what I did.

I opened the clasp of the case, and dropped my new letter into the sea of unrequited notes and dreams. With a sigh, I closed the case, slid it back underneath my bed.

My pillow made a soft squeezing noise when I threw myself on the bed... looking over at the snoring Anna on the other side of the room. We shared rooms ever since we were little, including my older sister, Vera Lynn.

We became so close when mom died. Our eyes were opened that we were the only people Dad has in his life. Back then we fought so much we pleaded for separate rooms... but since Mom's gone, every role in the house was rearranged.

Vera Lynn had to grow up fast, leave her childhood behind to become a fraction of Mom for all of us. She had everything organized into neat and even rows, even at an early age of 19.

Soon, she'll be leaving for university... and I have no idea what we'd do without her.

It'll just be me, Daddy and Anna. And, I'd have to grow up the way she did... for Anna.

A small light lit up from the other corner of the room, and a begrudged Vera Lynn came into view, "Els... Elsa... Go to sleep..."

"Okay, Veer.", I tell her as I fluff up my pillow.

As I close my eyes, the last thing that I see is another gigantic picture of Jack Frost pinned up on the ceiling just above my bed.

His face so angelic, his smile terribly heart-melting... and don't even bring up his hair.

Just a sliver of a possibility...

Maybe...

Just maybe...

A/N: Welcome to Dear Jack, everyone. This is just a wee little idea that I got one Christmas morning when I woke up.

I'm a sucker for modern cliche things, so why not mix it up a little? It's still modern though, but not so cliche.

Hope you guys like this first part of the book, and hopefully... I could get more parts in.

Thanks for reading :>