Ride With You

Sam’s Pov:

I checked the time on the mobile. It was 3.45 A.M. I did not sleep even for a minute. From the moment she left the room, I replayed whatever happened last night. I smiled at the fan in the ceiling like a stupid. I forced myself to sleep but every time I shut my eyes, all I could see was her face. This went on like a loop.

Finally, at 6:00 A.M. I decided it was about time that I got up. I rolled out of bed and got ready for  college. I got out my favourite shirt and pressed it.

“You awake? We have to leave the home before 8.15. So get ready”, I said and left the room. I felt protective of her and thought that it was my responsibility to take care of her.

I went to my room; took a shower and got dressed. Mom prepared the breakfast. The moment she saw me, her eyes widened in surprise.

What a surprise!! I haven’t seen you this early to college”, she said laughing at me. She was right; I never go to college on time. I wake up at 8.00 in the morning. Get dressed as shabby as possible. Leave the home at 8.45. And reach the college at least half an hour late.

That was my past.  Now, I have an extra responsibility to take care of.

“Changes happen, Mom!!”. I said, pinching both her cheeks. She smiled.

“I thought you will be late, so I asked your dad to drop Lia”, Mom said as she arranged the plates.

It shocked me. I stood staring at mom like a statue. “No, mom. I will take her to college, don’t worry about us”, I assured.

As you are awake, you can take her to college”, she said.

I let out a sigh of relief. Lia came out of her room. She was wearing a kurthi with blue diamonds printed on it. She packed her belongings in her bag and brought it along with her. I could see the tension in her eyes. But she managed to smile.

We had our breakfast. My mom showered her with advice like study well, pay attention,…. Bla bla blahhhh. I chose not to listen to that stuff. Instead I kept looking at her, especially her eyes.

After breakfast, I prepared my bike for my first ride with her. I even washed it yesterday, while she was asleep. She gathered all her belongings and came out; laid her hands on my shoulder to lift herself up to sit on the seat and waved her hands at mom and dad.

Finally, I was riding with her. I could not explain my happiness in words. I adjusted the rear-view mirror to see her face. I drove as slowly and carefully as possible.

Can we bunk the class today? Shall we go somewhere else?”, she said.

I laughed on hearing that. “No, not on the first day”

If someone else asked me this question, I would have gladly accepted the offer. But I should not spoil her. Besides she was just scared, that’s why she asked me to take her somewhere else.

I saw her disappointed face in the mirror.

Are we on a car festival? Can you drive faster?”, she asked insulting me.

It was more fun to be with her. Seriously, I hate driving slowly. Now that she wanted me to drive faster, I can do it with pleasure. I was waiting for those words. I increased the speed.

“Aren’t you scared of speed?”

No, I love it. Dad drives very fast, so I am used to it. My dad promises me a long drive if he wants to convince me to do something. He’s good at it”, she said with a pleasant smile on remembering her dad.