33 | Goodbye, Friend

☾

Hope rushed to her fathers side as she had completed her first transformation. Klaus smiled proudly looking at his daughter, Elijah and I stood in the sidelines watching them together, but I was worried, Hope would have minimal time with her father after he had taken the hollow instead of me.

"I told you I could do it dad." Hope said as Klaus stood up and hugged her. He put on a strong face for her but we could all see that he was in pain. We took the trip back to New Orleans once Klaus had gained his energy back. We walked into the house and found a large dinner displayed. Freya, Kol, Rebekah and Marcel were all waiting for us. Klaus smiled at the sight and took my hand.

"Well if this is going to be my funeral, it better be enjoyable." He said pressing a kiss to my hand. I gulped trying to hold back the tears and smiled.

"This is going to be a memorable night." I said as we all took our places at the table. Hope was so happy, this was all she ever wanted, a family. Her joy and laughter filled the room and it made me happy just watching her. The evening was rather enjoyable just as Klaus wanted it to be. We had a lovely feast and laughed at all memories. Everybody was at peace, no arguing, no worrying about the world ending.

"Don't be sad." Elijah said taking my hand underneath the table.

"I'm not, I just don't want him to go." I said and Klaus came behind me and put his hands on my shoulder.

"I want to make a toast." Klaus said holding up his champagne. Everybody directed their attention to him. "You know as much as I've savored tormenting you all throughout the years, I must confess you all mean everything to me. Your loyalty and your counsel and your love is probably the only reason why I've survived as long as I have. Which is how I know, long after I'm gone, you will all come together time and time again to take care of each other. And that is why I'm not afraid, for your future."

"We have known forever with those whom we share blood. While we may not choose our family, that bond is our greatest strength" Elijah said squeezing my hand.

"Though I may be leaving you tonight, this is not the end of the Mikaelson's. Always and forever." Klaus said and we all repeated after him. "I need a moment." He said taking Hope with him.

"I can't believe this is bloody happening." Rebekah said holding onto Marcel and I sighted.

"After all these years..." Marcel began.

"This isn't the end, we're not going to let this family name burn in ashes." Freya said as her eyes filled with tears. I started to feel strange and rushed out of my seat and to the bathroom. Elijah rushed out of his seat and checked where I had gone and he knocked on the door.

"Clara? Are you alright?" He said through the door. I opened the door and smiled.

"Just a lot of emotions." I said taking his hand and walking back to where our family was. Klaus and Hope were already back.

"We've decides it's best if Hope stays." Klaus said as Hope went with her aunt Freya. Klaus walked next to me and Elijah.

"We should get going." Klaus said taking a last look at his house and family. We walked to the center of New Orleans, Bourbon street.

"Ah this old chestnut." Klaus said looking at some benches. "Many moons ago, we sat here and discussed the future of this family." He said looking at me and I smiled as a tear slipped out of my eye.

"Thank you Clara, for raising my daughter, our daughter. From the moment I saw you I knew you were special, you had a fire that illuminated an entire room. If Elijah hadn't swept in and taken you, it wouldn't of been bloody long before I had." Klaus said with a chuckle and I hugged him. "I want you to continue to talk to Hope about me, to continue this legacy. I don't want her to forget me." He said with a worried gesture in his face and I nodded in his shoulder.

"You're her knight in shinning armor Klaus, she will never forget you, I promise." I said and he smiled.

"You take care of her little wolf." Klaus said placing a kiss on my head.

"Thank you for taking me in, making me one of your own and for always watching over me Klaus." I said holding onto him. "Were going to make you proud and do right by your name." I whispered and he let go of me.

"I know you will." He said giving me a final look before turning to Elijah.

"Brother, I do not deserve the love you've given me, but I am so grateful." Klaus said hugging his brother. I could see how hard Elijah was trying to hold back his tears. "Thank you for watching over me since we were children, for protecting me and loving me. Even when I failed to be the brother you deserve." Klaus said as he looked at Elijah.

"It's been a glorious ride Niklaus, and my greatest honor." Elijah said looking at his brother. Elijah took his place next to me as Klaus took out the white oak stake, the only thing that could kill an original.

"Always and forever." Klaus said.

"Always and forever." Elijah and I said in sync as he held me in his arms. Klaus brought the stake to his chest and within three seconds he staked himself.

"Ah!" I screamed as I fell to the ground. "He's gone!" I cried hysterically as Elijah tried to hold me. Klaus's face was still, a single tear falling from his eye. His body began to turn to ashes and filled the place he called his home; New Orleans. Klaus Mikaelson was dead, but his legacy was not. I would make sure of it.

☾