1 | New Beginnings

☾

I stood in the balcony of my room, looking out to the town I had lived in all my life. All I could think about was how three months ago, my life was perfect. I had a loving family, both my parents and my older sister Elena were alive. Now, all I had was Jeremy my younger brother and my mother's younger sister Jenna as our guardian. The car accident haunted me over and over as I thought how I was the only one who survived that night. I still feel guilty for it even though I had no control of how it happened, which strangely is the only thing I don't remember. I heard footsteps coming towards the door to my room when a voice spoke out.

"Clara, breakfast is ready, Jenna wants us downstairs so we can get to school" my younger brother Jeremy said as he opened the door, he walked up to me and I tried to give a smile.

"Yeah let me put on some shoes and I'll be down right now"

"Are you ok? You've been ready for the last hour and you haven't gone downstairs"

"I'm fine, just thinking" he sighted as he hugged me knowing exactly what I was thinking about.

"Clara, it's not your fault. What happened that day, it wasn't under your control, there was nothing you could have done, you just happened to be saved by a miracle..."

"I know Jeremy, it's just hard not to feel guilty when three of them could have been saved versus one of me, you know? Anyways let me get my book bag and shoes and I'll be downstairs" he nodded as he walked out the room. I sighted as I looked in the mirror, my dirty blonde hair was rather straight today. My outfit seemed fine for the first day of school, I wore a burgundy tank top and some dark blue fitted jeans with my white converse, and I threw on a black leather jacket. I grabbed my leather book bag and I headed to the kitchen.

"Hey Jenna" I said as the smell of blueberry pancakes made its way to my nose.

"Hey, want some breakfast? I made special pancakes today since it's the first day of school" she said as she looked at the pancakes and smiled. Jenna tried in every way to be the perfect guardian for Jeremy and I.

"No thanks, I'm fine. I'll just take a fruit for the way" I replied as I grabbed an apple.

"Clara, you need to eat. That's why you're so thin!" I looked down to see my body, she was right. I was rather thin but I had a good body so I guess I couldn't complain.

"None of her guy friends seem to mind that" Jeremy said sarcastically with a smirk.

"Ha ha, very funny Jeremy" I said as I rolled my eyes and grabbed my car keys.