A Change is Gonna Come

AN: Every chapter which has NEW YORK written at the top is in the past, those events had already happened in around the 1990s, just wanted to get that out of the way. Enjoy!!

"Dr Foster brought the baby to work, she brought the baby to work!!"

The ex-interns and now the first-year residents were standing in their usual spot by the nurse's station gossiping among themselves when they saw Renee walking out of the elevator with Ilaria in her arms, the baby was peacefully asleep but they could see the dark circles under Renee's eyes. Mark was standing there writing in the chart when Alex Karev yelled. He looked up to see Renee walking down the passage and towards the station when she was called by her boyfriend who greeted her and Ilaria with a kiss of their cheeks and whispered something in Renee's which caused her to blush furiously before he started walking away but not before kissing her to which Mark looked down.

"Good Morning, Doctors, big day, you met your own interns yet?" Renee greeted them with a smile.

"Yeah, we all think we are the next Nazi," Meredith said as everyone chuckled and started arguing.

"There can be only one Nazi, anyway, I am your attending for the month, so I need the names of your interns, page them," She said as she walked over to the nurses' station where Mark was still standing.

"Dr Pierce Halley, Dr Laura Thomas, Dr James Steves and Dr Chan Ming," Alex introduced his interns.

"1,2...Dominique Scott, Steve Mostow, Lexie Grey and Dani Mandvi," Renee raised her eyebrow.

"They are doctors, Dr Yang," Christina looked down as her interns looked at her.

"Give respect to earn respect,"

"Dr Claire Chanel, Dr Graciella Guzman, Dr Mitch Lawrence, Dr Leo Byrider," Izzie introduced her interns.

"Dr Megan Nowland, Dr Lucy Green, Dr David Fallon and Dr George O'Malley,"

"Interns, I am sure our Chief of Surgery gave you his speech, he made it look like it's all very difficult well....it is. Your residents are one of the best interns we ever had, use them wisely, ask questions, don't get too eager for your surgeries, they will come," One of the interns, Claire, raised her hand.

"I am sorry, who are you?" She asked with an arrogant tone.

"She's-" George went to say but was cut off by Renee.

"Uh-uh, O'Malley, she asked a question, why don't you join me for the day, dear? I'll show you who I am,"

"Oh boy, bad luck,"