CH.P 1

"Oh my God, Hailey, this party is going to be amazing." my friend Jeanette tells me."My parents don't want me going. I'm going to stay in for the night.""Sneak out. Your not missing this.""I'll see." I hang up the phone before she can say anything else. A few seconds later I get a text from her. It's the emoji gun.Just then my mom comes in the room. "Want to help me grade papers?" my mom teaches at a high school near my school. She always complains about the kids. It's sort've weird because I know almost all the kids she talks about."Sure mom." I slide off the bed and follow her downstairs to the kitchen where she has a bunch of office supplies covering the table.

She hands me a red pen and the answer sheet. I actually love grading papers. I'm thinking about teaching when I get older. Anyway, when my mom and I grade papers, it's our bonding time. Despite everyone else's relationship with their parents, I'm close to both of mine. I'm more close to my mom though. I love them to death.

They are literally my best friends. I tell them everything. Well, my mom everything. My dad would freak if he heard some of the things I told my mom.And the best thing? When I help my mom with her teaching stuff, she's happiest. Perfect time to ask for something."So mom," she looks up from her paper. "Can I go to Adrian's party?"

"Oh Adrian!" my mom loves Adrian. He's over all the time. She's come to treat my friends like they were her children."He's having a "back to school party" sort of thing."It's only two weeks into school and everyone is ready for summer."

"Really? That's his excuse for a party?"

"It's just something to get everyone's mind off. Please can I go?"

"Fine. I'll talk to your father."

"Thank you thank you thank you!" I hug her and kiss her cheek. I grab my phone and run up the stairs."I thought you were gong to help me!" she calls after me."I have to get ready!" I shout back. After two hours of showering, hair, picking my outfit, picking the jewelry, picking a purse and nails, I'm ready.

I'm only taking so much time into this because tonight is the night I'm going to get Shaun's attention. I've had the biggest crush on him since 7th grade and I thought 3 years was enough gawking and to finally do something. I know he likes me too. I heard tonight is when he's gonna make his move too. He's my best friend and there's no one I would rather be with.No sooner when I'm down the steps, my dad walks through the door. Just the man I wanted to avoid.My little brother Dylan, comes rushing past me down the steps and into my dad's arms.

He's 7. Then my little sister, Jamie runs from the kitchen and clings to his leg. She's 4. Mom walks in from the kitchen as well with Joshua in her arms. Joshua is 4 months old. She kisses him and Dylan starts telling him all about his day not leaving out a single detail. After a minute my dad tells him that's enough for now.Once everything settles down, dad looks at me. "And where are you going dressed like that?" he asks while taking off his badge and gun belt thing. My dad is a detective. He's he best in the city. He gets called out all the time."Hailey, you look really pretty." Dylan smiles at me."Thanks buddy." I say rubbing his head. He has brunette hair just like Jamie and my father.

I got my moms black hair. I dye it from time to time but hardly."Daddy, when can I dress like that?" Jamie tugs on his leg."Never." my dad says."Martha, did you say she could go out like that?" he asks my mom."Oh come on sweetie. Let her have a little fun." she winks at me. In high school, my mom went out to parties and had fun. My dad studied and got good grades. My mom did too, just she was more fun."But-""Dad," I cut him off. "It's not that bad.""But your only a sophomore. When I was your age, I was at home studying. And look at me now."

"And I had fun AND studied." she emphasized the "and" part. "Look at me now."My dad looked at me then at my mom. "Fine." he says giving up."Thanks daddy."I sat on the couch and started bouncing Joshua on my leg. Looking at my family, I realize how cliche we are. I have a happy life. I wouldn't trade it in for the world.A horn beeps outside and I run out the door. Jeanette already has her license so she drives me everywhere. I only have my permit. My birthday is late in the year and I started school a year early so all my friends are 16 and I just recently turned 15 like three months ago.Her jaw drops when I get in the car. "You look hot."I laugh. "Thanks. I want to look good for Shaun."

"Oh yeah! He told me he's sick of waiting and pretending. Being just friends is killing him."

"It's killing me too."She laughs and we speed off