Chapter 1 in the beginning

When Izuku Midoriya was six years old he still hadn't shown any sign of a quirk. His mother, despite her son's defense against the childhood friend, knew that his lack of a quirk was causing problems with her son's friend Katsuki. Her son had never complained and when she asked about it, he denied any such thing; alas, she was his mother and she wasn't oblivious to the way the younger Bakuguo acted towards her son. So, when she heard that his late quirk manifestation was the reason behind losing his only friend she immediately signed up for a doctor evaluation.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Midoriya, it seems that your son is quirkless.", Inko Midoriya stared at the X-Ray in disbelief. She looked down at her only son as tears began to form around his bright eyes.

"Have their been any signs of weakening quirks on either you or your husband's families", Inko peered at the discarded All Might figurine before she slowly floated up to her hand to hand back to her now crying child.

"No, my quirk is actually stronger than my Mother's, and his father had an extremely strong quirk," she explained not bothering to correct the doctor on the word Husband, despite what she'd told people she had never been married.

"Well there is a chance, though extremely small, even with the extra pinky joint that he could manifest a quirk. If that does happen please call and we'll inspect it."

___________

Inko Midoriya slid down the door as she listened to the voice of All Might playing on the computer over and over. She stood up wiping her eyes and opening the door to see her son sitting there with tears threatening to fall.

"Can I be a hero too?", Izuku asked with despair apparent in his voice. In that moment Inko remember what Izuku's father had said to her all those years ago. He had told her that Izuku could be a hero, maybe even be the best. He told her as long as they stayed in Japan he would be safe from the monsters, from the pain that followed his children around.

She had read the Myths, exaggerated or not the stories had to have some truth in them. She never in a thousand years would want that sort of life for her son. When Izuku had asked her if he could be a Hero she wanted to say no, not because he couldn't because she wouldn't allow it. The words had been on the tip of her tongue when she'd looked back at him, crying while he clutched his favorite All Might action figure. She couldn't break his heart so she sat down and held him telling him over and over how sorry she was, sorry he couldn't be a hero, sorry he didn't have a quirk, sorry for not being able to help. In the end he pushed past it all and exclaimed loudly for no one to hear that he would be the best hero anyone would've ever seen, and deep in Inko's heart she truly believed him.

_______

Izuku was seven when his quirk finally manifested, he'd been out on the playground 'playing' with Kacchan when his bully had gotten angry at him for trying to join Kacchan's friends again in playing hero and villians.

"Stop trying to play with us Deku! You can't be the Hero and even a Villian needs a quirk!", Bakugou yelled with his usual brash tone. "You know what Deku, maybe if I teach you a lesson you might just finally leave us alone." Bakugou slowly began to walk towards Izuku with his hands extended reaching for the boys shoulder.

Izuku stared at him slow panic beginning to grow in his chest. Kacchan had always been mean pushing him down a couple of times but, Izuku reasoned, he would never actually use his quirk on another person. Kacchan was trying to be a hero and hero's didn't hurt people. Izuku tried to push the fear down as he stood tall and unwavering, sure that Kacchan wouldn't purposefully hurt him.