Chapter 26

Three weeks later.

Bucks opened his eyes a crack and was immediately blinded by bright white light. Squinting, he turned his head to the right and saw a familiar head with brown voluminous curls and pale face. Martha! His eyes snapped open and he sat bolt up right on the hospital bed with the little strength he had.

" Where is she !? " He demanded in a hoarse voice.

"Oh! Bucks dear, you should rest! This is not healthy! " Martha pleaded squeezing their clasped hands gently.

"No ! Aunt , I refuse to rest till I know - "

"She left, I'm sorry but she left . She said she can't stay for a dying man so she left. I'm sorry , I poorly judged her character but she isn't the best for you , " Martha lied. She did the only thing she thought would calm him down but she was wrong.

"No ! " He rasped.

"No ! " He roared , his head started  throbbing in pain.

The commotion  made a few nurses rush into the ward and one left to call the doctor.

"No ! She can't ! She didn't- "

"Mr. Bucks , it's not healthy to scream like that . The swelling on your head - "

"I want to go home ,"Bucks cut the doctor off.

"Sir, but your condition dictates that - "

"Doctor Humphrey..." Bucks growled in warning shutting the doctor up.

" Okay ! Okay ! With immediate effect then. I shall come to check on you daily. Let me just get your pills before I discharge you, " the doctor then hurried out of the ward .

***
Bucks got back in his apartment feeling numb. Did Rita really leave ? Just like that? Then why did she ran to me before the explosion? What the hell is really going on ?

These questions made his head ache and he felt as if someone was trying to drill into his skull. He swallowed a few pills as the doctor prescribed and walked into his room. He just wanted to sleep and forget the world again. He was adjusting the pillows on his bed when his hand met with a folded paper.

Bucks felt his heart start beating wildly in his chest as he recalled that the past times he received letters like this , the woman he loved was in danger. He looked around then unfolded the paper to read it.

Dear Bucks,

I know sorry is not enough for the pain I've caused you. Through my careless words and actions you've landed in this condition. So I'm sorry. Martha asked me to leave and I concur with her because since you knew me , I've only brought pain in your lives which is absolutely true. So I have decided to go away and free you from this pain.

I want to thank you for everything you have done for me. Thank you for firing Asha when she did me wrong , thank you for the black flats you bought , thank you for saving me from Jonathan, thank you for keeping me safe in your apartment and lastly, thank you for saving me from the danger that was after my late mother and I.

You keep saving me, the least I can do after all the bad things I've done to you is say , ' thank you '.

I emailed my resignation letter and thanks for the advance payment too.

I understand if you hate me.

Bye.

Rita.

Bucks straightened up and walked to his closet, he wanted to change and go to Rita. The letter he read made different emotions to erupt within him. Anger because Martha lied to him, relief that Rita was alright, happiness because she was thankful and nervousness because he still did not know if she reciprocated his feelings.

He was just pulling a shirt over his head when his bedroom door flew open with a bang and a furious Morris walked in.

"Bucks ! What in the world were you thinking?! " His cousin yelled.

"Good to see you too, cuz ," Bucks continued to dress up too tired to care if his cousin will see him naked.

" Will you stop playing! You know what I mean , the fact that you stepped down from the mafia doesn't mean that you could walk into a death trap alone ! You should've asked for help, stupid ! "

"But I'm alive , ain't I ? " Bucks glared.

" Yeah and thank God you look like you've been run over by a bus . Otherwise, I would have beat the living day lights out of you and sent you back to hospital for your irrational actions ," Morris scolded.

Bucks sighed and pulled up his sweatpants . Morris noticed his weak struggle to move let alone dressing up.

" Where do you think you're going ?"

"None of your business! Pendejo!"

" First, I don't appreciate insults in Spanish. Second,  hell ,it's my business if you decide you wanna die! "

"Fine! I want to see Rita , " Bucks admitted ,tired of the stupid argument with his cousin.

" You are too weak and plus it's 8: 00 p.m . That's a bit late for her don't you think ? Why don't you go tomorrow? "

"Martha lied to me - " he was now sitting on the bed feeling too weak to keep standing .

" Bro , you are the only thing close to a son that she has. If anything happens to you , she wouldn't live with herself, " Morris cut his cousin off.

" Damn ! Are you always some creepy mind reader ? "

"No , but I have my magical ways of getting information, " he smirked at an irritated Bucks.

" Still , she had no right even if she's my aunt ,"

Silence reigned in the room for a couple of minutes before Morris spoke up.

"Bucks ? "

" Yeah ? "

" You know she loves you, right ? " Morris was now leaning on the wall.

" I don't know ... "

" Yeah she does. She wouldn't have run to you barefoot if that wasn't the case ,"

" She what ?! "

"Yap! Don't you remember? "

" I do, jackass , but I didn't know she was barefoot! First of all , her leg was injured! " Bucks exclaimed running a hand in his hair .

" And she actually hates herself for putting you in this condition, "

Bucks stood up ," I need to talk to Terry ."

"Be easy on him, your woman isn't exactly weak ," Morris then burst out laughing for a reason no one could comprehend.

" Hey ,watch it ! "

" Whatever, I was just passing , " Morris started towards the door.

"Morris ? "

"Hmm..."

" Where is she ? "

" Dumbass , you already know she's in her apartment. Why you asking me ? "

" You've been watching over her on my behalf ,right ? " Bucks asked rhetorically and  grinning mischievously that his cousin would go to such extent for him.

Oh, family love.

"Ughhhh! " Morris rolled his eyes slamming the door closed.

" THANK YOU!!" Bucks yelled as he allowed himself to drop on the bed. He was too tired. He would face Rita tomorrow and deal with Terry later.