Chapter 17

Rita sat next to a scowling man inside a cab. She chuckled after seeing him balling his fists while he occasionally glared at her. What was his name again... Ahh ! Yes. .. Terry. She had woke up early that morning to see if she could find a way out of the huge apartment when she bumped into him , a huge hulk of a man. She had decided to strike a friendly conversation with him then turned tables on him ,threatening him and forcing him to comply with her wishes. Funny how a big man like him could get so scared and threatened . Rita pondered in amusement as she watched the man shoot her a glare that could send grown men running away due to his menacing facial features and his big size .

Rita watched as the cab took a familiar road and pulled up across her apartment. She felt quite weak but what she had to do was very important. She had to find it.

Rita sweetly smiled at the man, Terry, who was still glaring at her, " I'll be back in a minute. Wait for me.." . The man simply scowled and grunted . Rita shut the door of the cab and tried to hurry towards her apartment. She half hopped and half dragged her painful leg.

She opened her apartment door to find her things out of order. Her small sofa was over turned, her cupboard was on the floor and her small flat screen hang dangling on the wall. She rushed to her room to find her bed broken, her wardrobe open and all items scattered on the floor. She realized that whoever was responsible for what happened was not a petty burglar as her flat screen and the wallet she left on the bed were not taken. A feeling of dread overcame her as she rushed to her small kitchen only to find it was intact. Hmm! That was odd. She frowned as she now opened a small compartment under the kitchen drawer that kept cutlery and retrieved a small box . She opened the box to find the content intact and slipped the box into her pocket.

Rita limped into the sitting room as she was trying to make her way out of the apartment when she was met with the back of a man standing close to the door. She froze .She looked around for anything to use to defend herself and her eyes landed on the umbrella on floor , a meter away from her. She tried not to panic as she stealthily made her way towards it despite the blinding pain in her shoulder and leg.

The man stood still as a statue seeming oblivious to what was happening behind him. Rita was just bending to grasp the umbrella when the man's voice stopped her cold.

" I see why he is quite taken with you. You are tough and stubborn.... A fighter and that is , dangerous, " the voice was cold. The man turned to reveal his face.

" I'm not quite sure you remember me , Rita. I was honestly shocked when Jonathan told me about Bucks' new hot assistant that I had to decide to see if it was really her, " the man paused taking a step towards Rita, his grey eyes boring a hole into Rita's brown.

"Same hair, same skin, lovely lips. It's a shame I never got to have fun with her before she left -"

"What is your connection with Jonathan?" Rita blurted out.

"I see , you also have the same smart mouth," he chuckled , cocking his head to the side as if trying to study Rita.

" Hmmm. Rita. Rita. Rita. I think we've had enough of the introductions and small talk... Now. Tell me. Where. Is . It ? " He boomed , his voice turning colder , the grey in his eyes becoming bigger making him seem possessed.

"W - what ? " She stuttered as she quickly grabbed the umbrella.

" Ha ! You gonna fight me with that, what a disappointment ! I thought you would pose a more serious challenge for real fun," he said coming closer to Rita .

Rita was backing up until her back hit the wall. She panicked, trying to wave the umbrella to fend off her sneering attacker .

The man rushed at her and yanked her injured leg. She fell on the floor screaming in pain just as a blow landed on her belly.

" We wouldn't want to ruin that pretty face, would we ?"

" You.. you .. psycho! " Rita screamed in pain , clutching her belly. She was anticipating another blow and had raised her left hand protectively over her head when she heard a painful groan and the man's weight on her was gone.

Rita looked up to find Terry pummeling her attacker. She struggled to sit up just as Terry knocked the man out and turned to face her .

" Do you have a death wish? " Terry growled while glaring at her shorter form.

"I - "

" Save it !" He bent down and slung her over his shoulder . He made his way to her bedroom and opened the window .

" Are you crazy? Where are you taking me?" Rita yelled at Terry who was crouching under the window preparing to jump.

"You led us into this situation,"

"You..."

Terry jumped from the window cutting off Rita. He landed on a metallic floor on his feet and started running down some stairs . He ran across the street , hailed another cab and climbed in. Rita was trying to steady her dizzy herself on the seat while clutching her belly and feeling for the small box in her pocket. I got it ! She tried to smile but ended up wincing.

Her belly hurt, her leg was on fire and her shoulder was killing her. Rita sighed in relief when they arrived at Bucks' penthouse apartment. She tried to leave the cab on her own accord but she failed miserably ,forcing a scowling Terry to sling her over his shoulder and carry her in.

***

" Put her down !" A deep gravel voice ordered and Rita was tossed on the sofa . She weakly looked up and swallowed at the sight before her.

His black hair falling into his black eyes that were staring at her so intently. His mouth set in an angry thin line, his chest rising and falling out of anger ,his hands balled into fists and his foot tapping the ground.

" Where. Were. You ?" Bucks gritted out.