Chapter 15

Rita stared at herself in that bathroom mirror. She looked at her bandaged leg and her right shoulder which had a dressing. Rita sighed. She braced herself against the wall and slowly dragged herself to the door.

Rita opened the door to see a woman who seemed in her early forties standing outside the bathroom. The woman shot Rita a piercing gaze and rushed to support Rita.

"Oh my dear, my son should've sent for me earlier instead of letting you struggle like this alone! Oh that stubborn boy! Take it easy dear," she cooed as she helped Rita back to bed.

Son?! Rita was just about to say something when the words died in her throat. This woman was Mr. Bucks' mother, her  boss's mother?!

The woman must have seen Rita's expression as she tucked her in bed because she laughed and started to clarify, " Oh! Dear, Bucks is not really my son as a matter of fact but he has stayed with me since he was eighteen when his parents died. Uhm, that would be my brother and my sister - in - law . Bucks feels more like a son to me than a nephew. ... That poor boy, he has struggled alot but he is tough , tough and strong like a lion. My Zimba, " she said fondly as she now sat down beside Rita on the bed.

"Zimba... but is that not an African name. Uhm .. uh. I'm pretty sure Bucks .. Mr. Bucks is a white guy..." Rita stuttered.

"Ah, that.... Indeed, Zimba is an African name and Bucks is also purely from a white decent but you see, my brother named him Bucks Zimba Thomson. He said Zimba sounds similar to a Swahili word for lion , Simba . My brother said Bucks was a tough boy. Tough like a king and strong like a lion. .... Hmmm, aah.. and that he surely is," the woman proudly stated , " Oh, dear ! Pardon my manners. I'm Martha... Martha Williams " she said chuckling as she now presented a bowl full of soup in front of Rita.

"Uhm, I'm Rita... Luma " Rita said to her smiling awkwardly. She already took liking to Martha and now looking at her closely, she noticed she had the same piercing black eyes as Mr. Bucks , more pale in complexion and her hair was  curly , brown  and voluminous.

"Rita is a lovely name for you, it suits you quite well. Okay, now drink up. This is soup , fish soup, I had it prepared traditionally. Your way. It's good for your strength, " Martha said holding a spoonful as she winked at Rita.

Rita drank  all soup in the bowl. The soup was delicious but it reminded Rita of a past. A past she was so desperate to shun out of her mind.

Martha adjusted Rita's pillows and gave her pills to take.

" Rita , try to get some rest. If you need me , press this button on this," she handed Rita a tiny device which looked like a remote but had one big red button in the middle.

The medicine started kicking in and Rita's eyes became heavy and she fell asleep...

A young woman and a ten year old girl both of lovely chocolate skin complexion sat on a small rug with plates in front of them. The young woman served boiled soft sweet potatoes on the plates and was now adding beans stew .

"Mama ,mama , add me more !" The young girl said enthusiastically as her brown eyes lightened up at seeing her favourite dish served.

The young woman softly chuckled as she added more to the young girl's plate and placed a spoon in it then handed the plate to her.

The girl was devouring the meal when she looked up at the young woman only to find her not eating.

"Mama... Why are you not eating?" The young girl asked , her brown beautiful eyes widening in concern.

"My child... Let me show you something, " the young woman took the girl's small hand and led her into an adjacent tiny room. She opened a cupboard and retrieved a necklace that had two pendants; a key and a heart both carved out of a rare  precious stone . The girl observed the young woman with unknowing but keen eyes as she squatted in front of her . The young woman clasped the necklace around the girl's neck and zipped up her jacket up to the collar while looking deep into her eyes.

" I am your mother. Know that I love you ... I only want the best for you. I need you to promise me something, " she paused searching the girl's eyes , " this necklace ,I want you to keep it safe. No one should see it, no one, you get that? Promise me.. "

"Not even Uncle Ben ?" The girl's innocent voice asked in a whisper.

"Yes. Not even Uncle Ben . Promise me...." The young woman insisted.

"Yes Mama. I promise ."

"Good. Now, one last promise. Promise me, when you grow up you will never search for a job in -" the young woman's voice was cut off by the sound of glass shattering and gun shots raining in the small room.

The young woman picked up the screaming young girl as she ran in crouch position from the small room to the kitchen . She removed the lid of a big empty water drum and started  lowering the girl in.

"Mama -"

" Shhh! Do not leave  this drum and do not make a single sound !  " The young woman told the girl in a hushed voice as she lowered the girl in the drum and shut the lid. " I love you, Rita, " she murmured as she turned away just as heavy footsteps approached the kitchen.

The girl saw foreign feet clad in heavy boots enter the kitchen through a small hole in the drum.

"Where is it? Huh! You think you can run from us.. huh! Where is the girl? WHERE IS IT? " A voice roared as the girl now clutched the necklace tightly through her jacket. The girl saw the foot kick the young woman and she heard a familiar voice moan in pain. After a shuffling movement and a piercing cry of pain, the young woman dropped in front of the drum ,her wide black eyes staring at the girl in the drum through the hole as blood flowed freely from her neck.

The girl clasped her hands over her mouth to keep from screaming as warm tears trickled down on her cheeks. Her vision blurry, she watched as the feet clad in heavy boots move towards the drum...

****

Rita woke up with a scream

Oh halloo ... Any body reading? 😃...please click on the vote icon below.. kindly and support. Me...
Hmm. Bucks Zimba ... I totally love his second name. What do you think? .. email me at haddasaholum@gmail.com. or even message me on thoughts about Zimba as Bucks' name.

Bye.. till the next chapter.. remember to vote.😉