5 ≻ Goodbye

Good Bye

I got up as soon as I heard Charlie's car leaving. I had an important ahead so I wanted to take advantage of the time on my own at home. I had a hurried breakfast and went back to my bedroom to finally start with my plan.

Leaving Forks.

Of course that was the easiest part of my plan, because leaving people behind was a completely different thing. I had gone through that many times in my mind but I had decided that the best way to do it was to make it quick and impersonal. You can call it cliché but a goodbye letter was the best option I found.

I took my suitcase from under my bed and began throwing things inside. Summer clothes – as I already knew where I was heading – pictures of my family and friends, a few books and my savings. It was not much but at least I had the money that was aimed for university and I already had a good idea to get some more once I lived Forks. It would hurt a lot, but I needed it.

I looked around my bedroom trying to think about the things I would need. It was painful to realize that that was the last time I would be there, in the room where I had grown up and that had witnessed the beginning and the down of my romantic life. I immediately remembered that Edward had taken all the things that could remember me of him, so I had nothing left to bring with me. Anyway, maybe it was for the better. I had promised myself I would pursue my own happiness, so what was the point in bringing painful memories with me?

I shook my head to put those thoughts away and went to the bathroom to pick up the last things I needed. When I finished packing I went downstairs and sat in the kitchen table with two sheets of paper and two envelopes.

I remained silent looking at the blank paper in front me for a while. I was sure this was what I wanted, what I needed. Leaving. But suddenly I had run out of words.

How was I supposed to let my parents know I had decided to abandon them?

I told myself this was the best way, so I took a deep breath, grabbed the pen and began writing.

Charlie and Rene,

By now you must be wondering where I am and why I haven't answered your phone calls or emails. The first thing I want you to know is that I'm okay and that you don't need to worry. I decided to leave Forks for once and I'm not even considering the idea of coming back. I need you to understand that it has nothing to do with you. You have been the best parents I could have asked for and, even though leaving you really breaks my heart, I prefer it is this way.

I'm not the same Bella I was some time ago. Forks changed me a lot and I'm sure it changed me for the better. The life I want for myself is not here nor in Phoenix but really far away, so I beg you not to blame you or anyone for my decision.

If I still have some right to do it, I have to ask you a last favour: please take care of you, of each other, and don't look for me. If we ever meet again maybe I will look like the daughter you once knew, but I won't be the same.

From the deepest of my heart, I will always be grateful for what you did for me and the great life you gave me.

I love you more than anything.

Bella

I got up from the table to get a glass of water. I was sobbing and tears were falling down my cheeks. I took some minutes to recover as writing the letter had been definitely much more difficult than I had imagined. And yet, it was not over.