4 ≻ Outsider

Outsider

A distant sound brought me back to reality. It was my phone and I was sure it was a new text from Alice.

"Bella, we wait for you after school for dinner. You better come or I will go get you myself. Love, Alice."

I had promised Alice that I would still keep in touch with her and the rest of the Cullens, except for the most important one for me, of course, as he had decided to leave us all. However, Alice seemed no to believe in my word, so her message was clearly a threat.

"I'll be there."

I did not bother much in writing a sweet message. Since my talk with Charlie after Edward left, my life had been totally different. The realization that I was not the same Bella anymore had changed me completely. I had actually stopped caring about anything or anyone at all.

I put my phone away and tried to put my attention back to the literature teacher who was giving a lecture about romanticism. Just great.

I drove home after school to change my clothes and tell Charlie I would spend the night with the Cullens, something he found strange as I was not with Edward any longer. Fortunately, he liked the Cullens too much to complain.

On my way to the Cullens' house I began to feel terrible. There was a growing pressure in my chest and I suddenly wanted to cry. My hands were trembling on the steering wheel so I stopped my truck for a minute to calm down. It was weird for me to feel like this since my body had apparently switched off a few days ago.

However, I took a deep breath and continued my way through the woods. Alice was already at the door when I got to the house.

"You're late," she accused me but still smiled.

"Sorry, I had to stop for a minute."

"Is everything okay?"

I tried to answer, to tell her I was fine, but I couldn't. It was like if my brain did not let me lie, so I just nodded and made my way inside.

"Oh, Bella! You are here!" Esme greeted me as she hugged me.

"Welcome, Bella." Carlisle told me as he approached to hug me as well. "I hope you are hungry."

"We all helped to make a great meal for you," Alice said emphasizing the word all. She took my hand and led the way into the dining room.

I turned to see Carlisle and Esme. They were smiling so I tried to smile back but I could not. In a second, Emmet and Jasper joined us and welcomed me too.

"Hi, Bells. Did Alice overwhelm you already?" Emmet asked me laughing and messing with my hair.

"I hope this is not too much, Bella." Jasper whispered in my ear as he looked at Alice arranging the chairs.

"Hi, guys." Was all I could say as I was getting scared of her plans.

We accommodated around the dark wooden oval table in the places Alice indicated for each of us. Mine being at the head. Once we were all sited, she left the room towards the kitchen. I looked around and noticed two things that made me feel quite uncomfortable.