~Twenty Nine~

Sorry long time waiting, unedited and probably not good enough for the time its taken but its a chapter . Hope you enjoy and that you're all still keeping safe and looking after yourselves during this strange time.

"Navi told me you wanted to talk."

Sophia turns her head at hearing his voice. Her mare shifts below her, nervous in the darkness of the night. The moon above shines down weakly on the pair, highlighting their outlines but not much else.

"You should not be out here alone," Isaiah warns her, no patience in his voice.

"I am not. My men are not far from here. I am in no danger."

"Lania slipped from Navi's watch. He took his eyes off of her for a few seconds to secure her fate aboard a ship and when he looked back she had gone. She will be out for blood, both of our blood." Isaiah shifts in the saddle as his horse fidgets.

"I am not frightened of her. I have an offer to make you."

"Yes, Navi told me. I will not take it. You need me where I am. If I leave, if I step down then you have thousands of people suddenly left without guidance, without loyalty. They will look to another and you have not done enough to give them any trust in the crown. You are still untangling the King's messes, his taxes, his cruel unreasonable punishments."

"Then my council will demand that I deal with you."

Isaiah laughs. "You are Queen now, act like one. They cannot demand anything of you, they can only suggest."

"They will suggest your head on a stick."

"They are frightened of war, of losing a war. They fear the people taking control. I can make you a promise, a signed declaration to give to them."

"I doubt your written word holds much value to them."

He sighs. "My council is also suggesting that I the rid the throne of the King's masked wife. They think you will carry on his legacy. With my word they have promised not to cause disruption for you just yet, they accept that I think better of you than that. From one King..."

"False king."

"To a Queen. I will tell you the word of the people and I will help you keep your place. But I remain in my position of power until I am content that all have trust in you. Then and only then can you offer to make me go away. But if you fail to gain all the people's trust then I will take the throne. This kingdom has seen too much suffering under the hands of a cruel ruler; it will not suffer for long under an incompetent one."

"Very well Isaiah, I agree to your terms. But if an assassin comes for me and it is found to be from your people, then the agreement is off and I will make sure you all pay."

"And yet you are willing to forgive us for the King?"

"No. If you find the one responsible I believe you will bring them to me."

Months later

"Isaiah." He feels a soft, gentle touch on his hair waking his from his sleep. With bleary eyes he lifts his head from the desk and scratches the back of his head. "You look exhausted. You should be in bed."

"Mother I am fine. If you think sleep is so important for me then why did you wake me?"

"I thought it better you heard the news from me. Navi sent word this morning. The Queen had a difficult birth, lasting many hours. She has brought the future King into the world and by all accounts the court and her council are triumphant and immensely pleased."