~Eight~

Isaiah removes the long thin material from his bag, irked that he has to use it for such a purpose. He returns to Sophia where she sits quietly, stoically, by Navi's side. He kneels down before her and winds it around her neck once before wrapping it over her head and around her face until only her eyes are visible. It does not entirely hide the damage she has done but it helps to. "Do not remove this," he orders.

She does not reply, not even with an acquiese of the head.
Navi and Isaiah's eyes meet. Isaiah rises to full height, jaw tight. Her eyes follow him.

He strides over to the men whose horses are already saddled and loaded with their bags. They warily regard him, eyes shifting to each other every other second. Isaiah crosses his arms and speaks, "We are approaching the capitol as you well know. People will have heard rumours and we cannot allow them to see what has been done. We must protect her and be ever viligant as we go forward..."

Amon clears his throat loudly halting Isaiah's next words. His face creases into a frown. Amon glances at the others and speaks for them, "We are not returning with you now."

Navi is by Isaiah's side within a minute, having seen the abrupt coldness enter his friend's eyes. Isaiah lifts his chin up and with a voice smoother than ice says, "Say that again with good reason."

"He will not pay us now for that wench! We are more likely to be slaughtered where we stand for allowing her to do such a thing."

"You think your location will stop his revenge if he finds you guilty?" Isaiah responds incredulously. "I never took you all for fools." His gaze sweeps over them, briefly returning to eyes that follow them all carefully.

"Fools would make it easy for him."

Isaiah let's out a bark of laughter. "Fools run away and look guilty. Do you honestly think I plan to tell him what she has done?" Amon's mouth opens to interrupt but Isaiah stares him down. "Her language is difficult for him and she understands not a word of ours. He does not have to know the truth. I can weave a story that we protected her from much worse and that the men who did this, their blood is soaking into the ground. We will be heroes and we will not be slaughtered. Unless of cause you wish me to use your names as the ones who have done this?"

Their hands go to their weapons but Navi and Isaiah are faster. Navi now speaks, "Think of yourselves. We well know Isaiah's heritage. Do you seriously wish to fight against him?! I would rather take possession of my wealth he promised."

The men fall back and nod. Isaiah strides away, not worried about a surprise attack. Navi quickly follows. "That was risky. You think he will still pay them?"

"Not a chance but they may escape with their lives. We cannot hope to continue without them for she needs our protection more than ever now. The King must know of her condition before anyone else."

Navi glances back and kicks the dirt beneath his feet. "How do you plan to make her agree?"

"As I said. He knows not her tongue and she knows not his... If she learns it then we pray she is clever enough to go along with our story."

Isaiah crouches down before Sophia. "Who do you wish to ride with?"

"Are your men abandoning you?"

"Minor disagreement. One of them then?" Alarm enters her eyes. Until now she has only ridden with Isaiah or Navi. Isaiah's​ lips twitch as he waits. Her eyes drop from his. "We will arrive at an inn tonight. We will be able to clean you up better there. There will be people but no one will come to your assistance. I advise that you keep your head down and say nothing."