~Twenty~

Sophia hears the key turn in the door and groans, burrowing further underneath the bed covers. It is only ever the two maids in the mornings, silenced permanently and trusted to look upon her scarred face. They will not bother her until it is time she must rise and be dressed. Sophia cocooned in warmth suddenly tenses at the one set of footfalls in the room; heavier than either of her maids' careful steps and slower as if patiently intimidating.

In one fluid motion Sophia appears from beneath the covers and sits up, eyes quickly assessing Darian's mood. His lip curls, a response she has gradually become accustomed to, when he sees her unmasked face.

A large mass jumps onto the bed and Sophia flinches before being assaulted by a large, rough tongue on her right cheek. Her face creases as she quickly moves away and pushes the large head down. The tongue scrapes against her hand and a smile, unbidden, rises to her lips. She shakes her head with affection and fondles the ears of the large Doberman now sharing her bed. Dark brown eyes regard her with love and the dog rolls to the side and present his chest to rub. Absentmindedly she obeys his request, her gaze moving back to her husband.

He looks annoyed, she wonders if it is because of his dog's behaviour regarding her. Although his expression was similar upon first observance. She continues to rub the dog's chest waiting for words signalling how the conversation will unfurl.

"You are ruining the effectiveness of my dog," he says, almost petulantly.

"Your dog will still protect you as it has always done. Now it will protect me also," Sophia carefully replies.

"The dog is yours now. I believe it will come to your defence before mine now."

"Thank you." Sophia pats the dog one last time before folding back the covers and slipping out of bed. She reaches for her silk dressing gown and slips it on, tying it at her waist. The dog sits and watches her from the bed, tilting its head to the side.

The King grunts and Sophia knows that it was simply a smaller issue leading to the bigger one. Sophia turns to him and asks, "Is something on your mind?"

"Apart from no heir yet to be seen?"

Sophia turns away and pours herself a glass of water. The King watches her, not for the first time observing her beauty and what could have been. "King George is almost upon us, a surprise visit and he expects a welcome and hospitality."

Sophia's fingers tighten around the cool exterior of the glass. Her mind processes the words and she exhales softly. "My King is coming here?"

"I am your King." The glare on Darian's face is disconcerting.

Sophia forces a smile. "Of course, forgive me, an error in words. Surely it is good that you can strengthen bonds. My country is well established as rich in lands and plentiful in food."

"He is a new King, I would rather have bargained with his father, a man I understand. George is different, hard to read."

"Then perhaps you can rely on me, my King. I know much from my father regarding George and his Queen. Perhaps it is time our realms put aside their differences?"

"He may demand to see your face..." Darian trails off and perches on the edge of Sophia's bed. "You must not remove your mask at any time or those you care about will suffer."

"Those I care about do not live here and are far from your reach." Sophia steadily takes a drink of water, turning to face the King, silently invoking a strong image. He narrows his eyes.

"You think I will take your word for that? I know who you care about within these walls," his eyes drift to the dog beside him and he lifts his hand to pat its head, "and it is not beyond me to send out assassins even across the waters."