~ Thirty Nine ~

Many weeks later...

"Did you see the last one who went in to see her? He could steal my heart any day of the week!" The young lady places her hand on her heart in an exaggerated fashion while her friend grins at her.

"He is here for the Queen, you will have to wait and see like the rest of us if he is to be hers or whether we all will be introduced."

"Do not steal my fun," the lady exclaims. "I am dreaming that he will sweep me off my feet this evening at the ball and we shall marry!"

Isaiah bites his tongue; sure he shouldn't be eavesdropping but unable to help himself as he waits to be escorted to see the Queen. He sees the friend roll her eyes, nothing discreet about it.

"What if the Queen announces an engagement to the man? I really do wish you would not get your hopes up."

"Hush! The Queen has many suitors to pick from. Why would she steal mine?"

Another young lady joins to the two women. She inclines her head towards them. "I was not aware you had a suitor Cynthia, if you tell me his name, I will of course inform the Queen that she cannot have him."

Cynthia sighs loudly. "Florence, surely you do not wish to ruin the fun as well. Do you know if the Queen has chosen her top contenders yet?"

Isaiah glances their way and is caught by the one named Florence. She raises an eyebrow at him and lowers her voice when she answers, "I have it on good authority that it is one of our countrymen she will choose. No foreign Prince will do. Unfortunately, the man you will have just seen is one of ours." Cynthia's face drops in response and her friend loops their arms together.

"Come, we should get ready for tonight. Who knows what will happen and whom we shall meet?" She encourages in an upbeat tone. They leave arm in arm. Florence watches them go.

The messenger returns that had asked Isaiah to wait, accompanied by two guards. "The Queen will see you now." He glances at the puppy in Isaiah's arms with consternation.

Isaiah steps forward, "A present for the Queen. It is to be a surprise. You must take it and bring it in when we ask."

The man's face goes pale, dogs not being his area of expertise. He stammers holding his hands up in a defensive motion. Florence saves the poor man from Isaiah and the puppy's approach and walks over.

"I will take the puppy. This man has far more important work to attend to." Florence takes the sweet little sleepy dog in her arms. "You do know the Queen already has many dogs?"

"I do. However, I see no harm in one more," Isaiah replies.

"Your name sir?"

Isaiah smiles and shakes his head. "Thank you for looking after the dog, her name is Ebony."

"You named the Queen's new dog?"

"Lead the way to the Queen," Isaiah orders the messenger who immediately responds.

At the door the messenger knocks then steps back allowing Isaiah to walk in first. His eyes connect with Sophia's across the room.

"Everybody out." The room clears in seconds at her one command. The doors shut solidly and Isaiah grins. Even though he wants to shorten the distance between them he stays where he is. He dips his head slightly.