~Twenty Four~

Sophia enters Queen Charlotte's rooms and the smile drops from her face. Two women sit on the exquisite emerald brocade settee; one she expects to see and one she never thought to expect.

Charlotte smiles and places her tea cup down gently. "Sophia, come sit with us. George said you would visit."

Claudette takes a sip of her tea and then places it down just as Sophia reaches them. Sophia ignores her and speaks to Charlotte, "You seem to be faring better this morning, I am relieved to see."

"I am faring much better indeed. Evenings are cruel to me but mornings are contrary. Do you have time to sit with us?"

Sophia sits down on the matching armchair and watches as a servant steps forward to pour another cup of tea. Sophia raises her hand before they can do so. She waves them away. "How have you two become acquainted?"

"I heard that the Queen was struggling with sickness and I came to offer remedies and advice, as only another mother can." Claudette hides her animosity well in her targeted words but the air within the room catches a certain chill.

Sophia makes a sound caught between a laugh and a scoff. "There have been many improvements in the many years since yours' were little. It would be wiser to ask someone with present knowledge perhaps."

"That still would not be you." The jibe this time is too obvious and Charlotte shifts uncomfortably.

Sophia takes pity on the innocent woman and attempts to change the subject. "Have you enjoyed seeing our country here?"

"Yes I have..."

"Charlotte, please tell us about your two children. Your king must be very pleased," Claudette interrupts.

"Have you given her permission to address you so informally? I personally do not allow it." Sophia quickly reacts. The colour fades from Claudette's face. "In fact I think it is time you leave us. I cannot control the time you spend with my husband but I will not have you embarrassing me among my peers."

Claudette stands, eyes burning with hatred. "You think you are so high now. I still hold the King's affection and it is greater for me than for you."

"And yet he never married you. You are embarrassing yourself thinking you still hold the same power you did in your youth."

"It is unfortunate the King did not escape you as my son did as you are quite clearly barren."

Sophia laughs but a body has tension running through every muscle. "The King treasures me and confides in me. Do not let your jealousy run away with you. Perhaps it is time to find out what so far he has refused to tell you."

Charlotte clears her throat delicately. "Thank you for visiting me Claudette, I am no longer in need of your company however I thank you for supplying it until Sophia arrived." Claudette leaves, clearly dismissed. Charlotte waits until she has gone. "I will not pretend to understand any of that but I see the contempt she holds for you. I like you and so I will not become friends with the likes of her on your account. It was cruel of her to make jibes at you using my unborn and living children."

"It does not hurt me. I have been thankful for the time to settle into my role as Queen without also having to learn the role of mother. I fear it will be an all encompassing one."

Charlotte places her hand on Sophia and gives it a slight squeeze. "It is, if we were not married to King's I would recommend giving yourself another year. I love my children but I miss my freedom."

"Freedom?" The word escapes Sophia's mouth in a quick breath and she cannot react quick enough to snatch it back. Within one small word contains the pain, the fear and the prison she finds herself in. Sophia abruptly stands, flustered and flushed. She curtseys, forgetting she is with one deemed an equal and perhaps a friend. "Forgive me, I must..."