~Twenty Two~

Author's Note ~ King Theodore is now named King George. I forgot she was from a different country to my original characters. 

"You requested my presence? Am I to understand correctly you timed your arrival when my husband departed from the palace?" Sophia asks upon entering the room, smiling when George turns sharply. The light from the window shines on his thick blond hair, dulling only slightly when he steps further into the room. Calm brown eyes meet hers and he inclines his head.

"You can if you wish. I am of the opinion that one must talk with their own before conferring with a foreign King. My wife has retired for a short nap, the journey has exhausted her, she will join us later," he replies coolly. Sophia finds that his face has aged in the long years since she last saw him and some of the warmth once present is missing.

"I hope she is well?" Sophia enquires politely, only remembering meeting Charlotte from afar.

"She is expecting with our third child, a matter she only revealed to me when we were already on the road." George's words hold irritation but Sophia can see the concern present within his eyes, the lines edging his mouth however reveal much more.

"Have you brought your children with you?" Sophia takes a seat and gestures for him to take one also. He rubs his chin, in the past clean shaven but now with a short blond beard.

"No. I did not think it wise. I am sure you are aware of the rebels gathering here." He takes the offered seat.

"You would be discussing that matter with my husband. It is not something I occupy myself with," Sophia responds carefully.

"My father always said you would make a good Queen. Calm and well spoken. I am under the impression you were stolen from your home."

Sophia clasps her hands on her lap and tilts her head ever so slightly at his words. She swallows once before speaking. "That is ancient history." She pauses as if to let those words sink in. "Why do you wish to speak with me alone?"

"I have a responsibility towards you as one of my own. But I see you are comfortable in your new role so I will only promise you and you alone my support. As long as King Darian treats you well we can have trade agreements and a treaty in place." George smiles reassuringly. Some of the warmth returns to his face and she wonders who took it to begin with.

"That is generous of you. Will you help up squash the rebels should the time come?" Sophia asks.

George grins. "I thought this was not something you occupied your time with... Yes I have squashed my own rebellion as you well know. Indeed I have actually brought along a young man that I suggest you add to your personal guard. He has loyally served me for many years. I have no doubt he will risk his life should he need to and he has assured me he will protect you."

"I am grateful of your care," Sophia replies, not wishing to appear ungrateful despite her concern at adding another to her growing protection.

"Must I continue as if I am talking to a mask?" George blurts out, his brows furrowing.

Sophia laughs and covers her mouth. She shakes her head, eyes creasing with amusement. "Forgive me, I forget that I wear this, it has so become me. I will not remove it but I assure you, you are talking to me and not the mask for it has no thoughts of its own."

"Why do you not remove it? Previous Queens of this country did not wear such a thing." George adjusts his seat, perching on the edge, leaning towards her.

"No they did not. It is between my husband and I. Should I call for refreshments?" Her words have him leaning back, suddenly cautious.

"Between you and your husband...Will he expect any daughters you birth to also cover their beauty?" When she does not reply to his questioning he stands. "No. I would prefer you kept his conversation to yourself. I will retire to my rooms and see you later at dinner. I shall send James along to you."