𝟐𝟗 | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐥 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞

Start from the beginning

"Adelaide's right." Bonnie agreed, "but do you want to be here?" She asked Elena, concerned.

"I have to be here. I have to put it behind me." Elena nodded trying to lift their morals up like Caroline had done moments before. She put on a fake smile and held her head high. "New year. New life." Elena walked off while the other three shared a look before nodding and putting on smiles, following after Elena and catching up to her.

Elena and Adelaide both split off from Caroline and Bonnie to go to their lockers before first period started.

"Being back at school feels so weird. Likes it's the old normal which isn't normal anymore." Adelaide spoke to her sister, leaning on her locker which she had just closed. "Summer feels like it lasted for years." She spaced out a little, thinking back to the summer she spent with Klaus and Stefan. She wasn't going to lie, she did miss spending time with the two of them - mainly Klaus.

"We just have to try and get back to our normal life." Elena shrugged.
"I think I might try out for Cheerleading." Adelaide suddenly mentioned causing Elena to look up at her in surprise.

"Seriously? You used to say that cheerleading was all about girls wearing short dresses and waving pom poms around." Elena raised an eyebrow.

"I know. But I need something to distract myself from-" She struggled to say it so Elena finished it off for her.

"Klaus." Her tone was disapproving but Adelaide nodded softly anyway.

"Klaus." Adelaide repeated her sister.

"And besides, I have this feeling that I could actually be good at it." She didn't know why but Adelaide had woke up this morning with a lot more energy than usual, although she had tried to sleep in and Damon hadn't let her. It was like she felt like she could do anything almost.

"Okay, well, I'm sure Caroline will let you on the team no matter what." Elena added, happy that her sister was wanting to try out new things. It was good, it meant they were getting back to their old normal - when life wasn't so complicated. Her phone then rang, stopping their conversation. She saw it was Damon and answered knowing it must have been important if he was calling her.

"Hey, are you checking up on me? Because I'm fine." She said before he could even say anything.

"Yeah. So... you might not want to come here for a while. We have a new housemate. Barbie Klaus." Adelaide listed in on the conversation.

"Rebekah?" Elena didn't not seem happy that Rebekah was staying with the Salvatore brothers. "She's living with you now? Why?"

"She's stranded." Adelaide rolled her eyes at Damon's response. "Apparently Klaus left her in the dust after I name-dropped Mikael." Adelaide still needed to talk to Nik about why he was so afraid of Mikael but now it would have to wait until he came back - that's if he does come back.

"What about Stefan? What is he up to?" Elena asked, sharing a look with Adelaide, knowing she was listening in.

"Oh you know. Journaling, reading, shaping his hair." Adelaide couldn't help but let out a small laugh because that was exactly what Stefan would do if he hadn't of flipped his switch and gone full ripper mode.

"Come on Damon, we can handle it." Adelaide looked down, knowing what Stefan had been up to this morning but not wanting to tell Elena about it as she knew it wouldn't help with her plan to go back to the old normal.

"Is that the bell... Ring! Ring! Don't want to be late." Before Elena could stop him Damon had hung up not wanting to be caught in a conversation about Stefan's current affairs. Elena snarled as she slammed her locker shut, annoyed with the oldest Salvatore brother. Adelaide turned to face where Elena was looking behind her and saw Caroline pin a poster for the bonfire up on the bulletin board.

"I forgot about the bonfire." Elena told Caroline, gaining the blonde's attention as she and Adelaide made their way over.

"You have to go. It's out first spirit squad event. And it sets the bar for the whole year." Caroline began to rush out, thinking Elena wouldn't want to go.

"Relax, Caroline. I'll be there." Elena calmed her down, butting in to stop her ranting. Caroline instantly took a deep breath in and calmed down, going back to her regular talking speed.

"Thank you. It's just that..." She got cut off as Tyler pushed in between the blonde and the two sisters, planting his lips upon Caroline's, silencing her from whatever she was about to say. Elena and Adelaide both shared an awkward look.

"Happy first day." Tyler greeted Caroline, pulling away from the kiss. Caroline looked just as shocked as Elena and Adelaide did. Adelaide then smelled blood while Caroline put a finger to her lips, pulling away seeing red.

"Is that blood?" Adelaide asked as her eyes zoomed in to the small patch of blood on Tyler's shirt.

"Oh my god," Caroline yelled angrily as she pulled Tyler into the mens bathroom with Elena and Adelaide both following.

"What's going on?" Tyler asked them, confused.

"Vampire 101... don't wear your breakfast to school!" Caroline pushed Tyler's chest, to prove she was angry at him for being so reckless and careless.

"Chill out. It was just a blood bag." Tyler defended himself, not seeing the big deal as Elena began to check all the stalls were empty just in case someone had accidentally heard them.

"From where?" Caroline quizzed her boyfriend.

"Rebekah hooked me up." Okay, so Adelaide thought of Rebekah as someone who could potentially be one of her best friends in the future, however she knew that Tyler hanging out with the blonde would set Caroline off.

"Rebekah? And what are you even talking to her for?" Caroline was definitely jealous and upset at the news.

"Klaus told her to keep a watch on me." Tyler shrugged, thinking nothing of it. "Protect his new asset and mate." Tyler let slip, almost smugly and proud of his job.

"Wait, what did you say?" Adelaide took a step forward so she was stood beside Caroline now, looking at Tyler with a serious look.

"What?" Tyler turned to her.

"His new asset and what?" Adelaide knew that what Tyler had said was talking about her. Elena was Klaus's new asset and Adelaide was his... mate? Did he mean it like, 'we're mates' as in 'we're friends', or something completely else which was now sending Adelaide crazy.

"That I was not supposed to tell you." Tyler cursed, angry at himself.

"Why are you amused by this?" Caroline butted in while Adelaide stepped back, leaning against the bathroom stalls.

"I'm his first successful hybrid, Caroline. Don't you think that's the tiniest bit awesome?" Adelaide could still hear the conversation but she had also gotten a bit lost in her thoughts. She now knew that what Tyler had said would be all she could think about for the rest of the day. If she was what she thought she heard Tyler say, then Klaus must have known. She wondered when he was going to tell her, or if he was going to tell her at all.

"Oh, wow!" Caroline scoffed, "I cannot believe you just said that." Sensing that Caroline wasn't happy with Tyler, Elena decided to grab Adelaide's arm and tug her out of the bathroom, wanting to give the couple space to argue without an audience only to bump into the person she had tried to avoid. 

____________

Guys, this story is #1 in the tag elenagilbert! I know its not one of the main tags, like klausmikaelson is, but theres over 4.8K stories with the elenagilbert tag so thank you so much for reading, liking and commenting on this story - it really means a lot!

⧫ 𝐩𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝟏𝟖 // 𝟎𝟔 // 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎 ⧫