34 - Anchored To Your Side

Start from the beginning

"Disregard the 'leaving' part, love," Mom whispers near my ear. "You're just making changes in the flow of time by doing necessary sacrifices."

That hushes my wailing down. Mom's statement reminds me of a certain theory, saying that time is a relative construct. It only moves one way through, leaving a moment here and see where it takes us.

"Sleep now and stop crying," she adds, patting my head gently. "You don't want to expend the day tomorrow with Kei looking horribly."

I make a face. Mom surely knows how to joke. But she's also right. I have to be in full energy tomorrow.

🌙🌙🌙

Exactly seven in the morning, Kei and I ride the Ghibli Bus to reach the museum.

While on the bus, I can't hide the excitement on my face. I grew up watching Studio Ghibli films and I can't wait to have a trip down to my childhood. I'm seated near the windowpane and I can't calm down! The one-hour trip is too long!

"What are you? A child?" Kei scolds me.

"But . . . Only lucky people can visit the museum!" I say filled with wonder. "The tickets are so hard to buy, you know. Plus, we got the 8 AM entrance!"

Kei fondles my head. "Then I'd say, I make my own luck, Your Highness. Now, calm down. We'll arrive there eventually."

"Hai," I prolong the 'i' sound and sit tight.

Waiting . . . Sounds easy. The concept of time inside this bus is different from the time I have in mind. I look at Kei. Waiting looks easy for him. His eyes are close while leaning loosely on the backrest of his seat. I wonder what is he thinking while listening to music through his headphones.

"I can feel your stares, you know." He puts his headphones down, opening his eyelids to see me.

"I'm just thinking about your thoughts."

He snorts, lacing with hums of silken laughs. "Why are you thinking about what I am thinking?"

"I don't know. I'm bored, maybe?"

"Okay," he speaks, "why don't you take a guess?"

I grimace. I don't have telepathic skills! And the fact I can't read anything through his deadpan face, I assume that the true height of our friendship is low. Okay, that makes me sad.

I gaze at him with a straight-faced. "I have no idea. Brain booogsh."

He grins sideways, "Wanna know?" I nod eagerly. "I'm thinking about what you're thinking right now."

"Geh." I make a disgust expression and pan my head on the windowpane. "Stop stealing my words."

Kei is just snickering, then I watch the trees along the road, trying to identify their types—which a dumb thing to do. Everything is passing in a blur outside this bus, but what is seen inside is steady. It always fascinates me who else has thought about this theory? Except for Einstein.

And finally! The moment I have been waiting has come! We've arrived at the Ghibli Museum! Quickly heading out of the vehicle, we walk for another fifteen minutes to reach the place. Then I immediately see a life-sized Totoro in the front facade of the museum.

"Kei, Kei, Kei, Kei, Kei!" I try to hide my excitement with a squeal while pulling the sleeve of his jacket. "Let's hurry! Come on, Kei! Let's go, Kei!"

As I drag him, he cedes to follow. I start taking pictures to my heart's extent, even stealing shots of Kei, because filming inside the museum is prohibited. We go to the ticket booth to get our paper ticket exchanged for a film ticket.