26 - Cut and Connect

Monday came. And all I want is Monday won't come, but no one can stop the time moving, so I have to face it. My confidence to go back to school is fleeting, yet I promised Kei.

I wasn't able to sleep well, being interrupted by some nasty memories and flashbacks in my head.

I get off the bed early, earlier than Michi-san usually does; she constantly wakes up at five. It's three in the morning and I plan to take care of the chores of this household. Cooking breakfast, preparing the lunchboxes for Dad and Ukiyo, and baking some simple sweet treats for Aina and Michi-san. I am about to finish preparing the lunchboxes when the mother of this house greets me.

"Aren't you pretty early?" she cues, awed by my works. "And wow, you've done all the works and I have nothing left to do."

I laugh, feeling all sheepish. "I wasn't able to sleep properly, so."

She offers me a warm smile while giving me a lopsided shrug. "Is there something bothering you? Could I be a help?"

I shake my head politely. "Not really, I just . . ." I play my thumbs as I try to soothe myself from the awkwardness. "I have a favor to ask you."

"Anything," she replies gleefully. "What it is, dear?

"Can I get a haircut from you?"

Michi-san laughs, slightly amused of me. "I would love to, Raine-san."

Her voice is so gentle, glazed like honey in a warm, cozy summer in the midst of the autumn season. She has a very loving heart and golden drips of words flow on her mouth.

"Thank you very much," I mutter gratefully.

"Can I know why? I see that your hair is very long now, but very beautiful, why do you want me to cut it?"

I make face by pouting a little. "Uh, well . . . For comfort and practicality. I'm using many hair conditioning products and spending much time on it to keep it healthy."

"I can't argue with that, child," says her. By this time, I feel we were on quite familiar terms and have expected warmer response. "But is it not such a waste? You've grown it nicely, though."

I only purse my lips. "I thought so, too."

Later that day, we're in the salon of Michi-san. I'm seated in front of a vanity mirror and a salon apron is covered on my body.

"What kind of haircut, Raine-san?" she asks me while getting her scissors.

"Hmm . . ." I hum, "I'm thinking of a bob-cut or pixie cut, something like that."

"Raine-san, aren't you making decisions out of impulse?"

"Don't worry, Michi-san, I'm not." I chuckle as I smile to convince her. "Besides, I always have long hair, it won't hurt that much if I try to change my looks."

"Fair enough." She shrugs. "Then, shall we start?"

I smile once again and then start cut my hair. It kinda scares me about the result. Short hair might not suit me. *insert pouty emoji with a lol* Kidding aside.

Hair-dressing must be Michi-san's cup of tea, and she is able to cut my hair in just a few minutes. I have thought that I'm not gonna like the finished outcome, but it turns out that I love it.

A faint genuine smile is drawn on my lips, but because I am too overwhelmed inside, my face brightens, reflecting the joy my heart is giving me too. I jolt up from the chair cheerfully and give her a grateful embrace.

"Thank you, Michi-san," I express my gratitude. "I really love it."

"I'm glad that you love it." She returns the hug with the same amount of feels. "You have school, right? You better start prepping up."