Let Me Take Care Of You

Jasper's POV

Everything feels like a blur. I'm numb. I want to scream to the Moon Goddess to tell me this is all a terrible nightmare. But, it's not. This is actually happening.

We rushed Zac to the pack hospital. Dara and a few nurses took him to the back. They won't let me or his mom go back there.

Mama is sitting next to me in tears. I wrap my arms around her shoulders and lay my head on her shoulder to comfort her. Damian is trying to console Elias in the far corner of the waiting room. A beta is supposed to be strong and composed, but he looks so broken. Dara's husband, Aspen, and their daughter, Charlotte, are here, as well. He's desperately trying to soothe Charlotte. She's almost hysteric. It must be hard to hear that your uncle is sick or hurt. We're all extremely worried.

"Ness?" Mama looks up to see a tall, rough looking man.

He has dark hair and strong features. He has a scruffy beard that looks nice and soft. He radiates power. Any other time, I would probably cower away in fear. But, he has a distraught look on his face that makes my heart clench. He must be Zac's father.

Mama runs into the man's arms. He has to bend over to be able to wrap her up in his arms comfortably. It's kind of funny to witness. She continues bawling while he rubs her back saying comforting words to her.

I feel tears running down my cheeks. I thought I cried them all out. Apparently, not. Zac should be here beside me. He shouldn't be laying unconscious in a hospital bed. I don't care if I sound selfish.

———————————————————————————

It's been two long, excruciating hours. Mama is asleep on a cot. All the crying she did wore her out. Aspen took Charlotte home to make sure she gets some rest. Elias took Damian home then he was going to check on the pack.

I refuse to leave this spot. We haven't heard a damn thing from the doctors. I'm furious. I want to know if my mate is okay. I need to know.

I sense someone sitting down next to me, but I don't bother looking in their direction. I continue staring at my lap and fiddling with my fingers.

"Young man." I hear a gruff voice say.

I look up to see Zac's father. He looks strong, but his eyes hold worry and sadness.

I've always loved the idea of men who are tough and scary on the outside. But, they're sweet, warm, and protective on the inside. They are rude and aggressive to anyone they don't know. Yet, they're cuddly and loving to anyone they consider family. That is how I picture him.

"Hi, sir." I mumble.

"What's your name, son?"

My heart explodes as the word son rolls off his tongue. I haven't felt like I had a family in such a long time. I've been here for a few days and they're filling that void tenfold.

"Jasper." I whisper.

"I'm Bryson. It's a pleasure to meet my son's mate." He smiles. "It could be under better circumstances, but that's okay."

"It's nice to meet you, too," I sigh.

"He'll be okay, ya know?"

"How do you know?"

"He just met his adorable mate." He looks down at me and smiles. "He wouldn't leave you for the world."

My heart flutters in my chest. I pray to the Moon Goddess he's right. If I lost Zac, it would break Draven and I beyond repair. We wouldn't make it through that.