44 - Relationships for dummies

Jaya woke up three hours later when Jesse started nursing again. After switching the baby to her other breast, Jaya closed her eyes for a few more moments and ran her hand over Penelope's fur. Her life would never be the same again; she knew that. She just hoped she'd be able to handle it.

Jaya glanced down at Jesse and smiled. She wouldn't go as far as saying she loved the tiny baby in her arms, but what she felt wasn't indifference either.

Once she finished nursing, Jaya carried Jesse upstairs and checked on Noah, who was asleep with his shirt off.

The jolt of love and lust that struck her made her take a backward step. She'd hurt him. She couldn't expect they would just pick up where they left off, even if she wanted nothing more than to be in his arms.

Jaya sat at the foot of the bed with Jesse in her lap, her textbook in front of her, and Penelope by her side. She needed to get back into her study habits; it was the one area of her life she could control. After all the money she'd paid to attend lectures remotely, she had no other option than to try to earn the credits needed to finish her degree.

Jaya was so engrossed in her book that she must've missed when Noah woke up. She heard the faint shutter of a camera and looked at him. "Did you just take a picture?"

"What are you talking about?" He stretched, giving her a generous view of his toned body. His phone lay next to him, the screen still lit.

She licked her lips but then thought of the least erotic thing she could come up with: her placenta. Though it was, supposedly, good for you, it weirded her out to think that some women looked past the Silence of the Lambs factor—and ate the organ.

"Feeling frisky?"

Not anymore.

Hell, let me see those washboard abs again. "Am I that transparent?"

 "Am I that transparent?"

He smirked. "You bite your lip before snarky comments and lick them when you're turned on." His muscles rippled as he sat up against the headboard. "You do know that the doctors said you couldn't have sex for at least another five weeks?"