36 - Just the way you are

The following Saturday, while Noah was out surfing with Nico, Jaya was in for a surprise. She was sitting on the sofa, reading, when someone opened the front door. She barely managed to grab the nearest pillow to cover her bump before Noah's sisters and his mom, Elizabeth, spotted her.

"Oh my God, Jaya," Dani shrieked.

Her mother put a calming hand on her arm. "Excuse my daughter," Elizabeth said, "She's your biggest fan."

"Oh, that's very sweet." Jaya smiled at them, trying to keep her wits about her. "Noah asked me if I could sign your copies. I'd be happy to."

Dani's face split into a giant, gorgeous smile that reminded her of Noah's.

"It's quite the surprise to see you here." Rita unpacked a box with paper plates and other party supplies. "It was my understanding you two were over."

"We decided to be mature and stay friends for the sake of Penelope. We still share custody of her, so he asked me if I could watch her until he gets back." Forcing a smile, she added, "You know Penelope and her issues." At least it wasn't a complete lie. If it were up to Penelope, they'd have to carry her around all day like a clingy toddler.

Jaya surveyed the living room, trying to come up with an exit strategy. She wanted to close the door to her room, clear out the bathroom without them noticing, and, more importantly, not reveal her pregnancy. They shouldn't learn the news from her. "Noah didn't mention you were coming over. If he had, I would've taken Penelope somewhere else."

"He doesn't know about this," Dani explained. "We have to set up his surprise party. It would be so awesome if you could stick around. Noah won't come back until this evening. Nico is making sure of it."

"Um, I'd love to, but I'm afraid I won't be of much help. I have to study." She held up her book. "I'll go to the bedroom, so I'm out of your way."

"No." The closer Dani came, the more nervous Jaya got. "I didn't mean sticking around to help but to celebrate."

"Oh, okay, sure," she said because it was the first thing she came up with. "I'll ask my brother if he has time to stop by. He and Noah are pretty tight. They bonded over their mutual exasperation with me."

"Yes, please do." Dani's enthusiasm was endearing. "And I'm sure they're not annoyed. Noah is crazy about you."

Elizabeth smiled warmly. "I think we better start with the preparations and leave Jaya to her studies."

"What are you celebrating?"

"His birthday," Rita revealed.

What? How did she miss it? But then again, she couldn't even recall which month they were in. Pregnancy brain was a real thing. "Huh, he didn't say anything. Now I'm embarrassed I didn't get him a present." And she doubted the blowjob she'd given him in the shower this morning counted, although it would explain why he was so giddy afterward.

"Your presence is gift enough," Dani assured her.

"Can I hire you as my personal ego fluffer?"

Grinning, Dani curtsied. "At your service."

"She's cute," Jaya said to Elizabeth. "You raised some awesome kids."

The woman's face lit up with pride. "I can see why my son is so fond of you."

"Was," Rita said, metaphorically punching Jaya in the gut. "Isn't he dating Brigitte now?"

"Oh, really?" said Dani, her voice laced with disappointment. "I thought they were just friends."

Awkward, but what was she going to do? She couldn't get up and walk away with the pillow. And why the heck had she worn a tight tank top today of all days? She paused, thinking about it. Because, for some strange reason, she liked the way her body looked pregnant. And Noah enjoyed it too; his gaze went all dreamy whenever he caught sight of her.