41 - Facing fears

Noah's throat closed up as he stepped into the room. He barely managed to say hi. He wanted to hold her, but Jaya looked so fragile he worried he might hurt her. Only when she reached for him did he sit down and wrap his hand around hers.

A shaky breath escaped him. "You can't imagine how good it feels to touch you. I was so scared I'd never be able to do that again." The need to get closer, to lose himself in her, was overwhelming—but something held him back, like an invisible barrier only she could break.

A faint smile played over her lips. "Noah?"

"Hmm?"

"Stop staring at my mouth and kiss me already."

Rather than wait for him, she hooked a finger under his shirt collar and pulled him closer.

Gently, he pressed his lips to hers, but just as he was about to release her, she kept him close and prolonged the kiss.

They had tears in their eyes by the time they separated.

"I don't know the first thing about being a mom." The words came out jumbled as she wiped her eyes. "I'm too scared to even see the baby. I don't want to mess up our child's life." Turning away from him, she pushed her face into her pillow.

Noah stroked her back. "Fear is not an excuse, Jaya. I'm scared to mess this up too." He got up, an idea brewing in his mind. "I'll be back in a bit," he said before he left the room.

***

Jaya breathed easier when Noah came back half an hour later. All she wanted was to be in his arms, but he stopped in the middle of the room. Her heartbeat picked up when he said, "The best way to get over fear is to work through it. So, that's what we're going to do."

He signaled someone out in the hallway. "You were born and raised in the worst conditions imaginable, but you've never let it get you down. You're the most courageous person I know, so you can handle looking at the tiny, perfect miracle we created."

Gus came in with a mobile incubator and left it at her bedside, then closed the door on his way out. She wanted to hide, but when she caught the first glimpse of her baby, awe eclipsed her fear.

"Jesse fits perfectly, doesn't it?" Noah sat on the edge of the bed, taking Jaya's hand in his. "Can you believe we made her?"

Her.

Jesse Santino.

She had a daughter. They had a daughter. She saw the love in Noah's eyes as his gaze passed between her and the baby. How did she get so lucky?

Jaya placed her unsteady hand on his thigh. "She is so tiny and beautiful."

"She takes after you."

Jaya scowled at him, but the corners of her mouth tipped up into a smile.

"You can touch her if you want." He must've sensed her hesitation because he reached through the hole with his other hand and stroked the baby's arm. "She likes it. Come. Try."

Noah helped her disinfect her hands before she stuck her arm through another hole in the incubator. She stopped short of touching the baby, so he reached over and put her hand on their daughter's belly.

Jesse stirred and grasped Jaya's pinkie.

"Look at those tiny fingers." Her breath hitched and she stifled a sob with her fist. "I'm so scared I'll break her."

Leaning closer, Noah pressed a kiss to her temple. "Gus says she's much stronger than she looks."

"When can she come out of this thing?"