Chapter Thirty

Two weeks before the McKenzie household set off on Noah's private plane to the volcanic islands of Hawaii, Sophia made it her mission to have everything sealed and packed by that afternoon, but not for the vacation. If what Noah said to her was true and he meant it, she'd be leaving the McKenzie house shortly, her guess was, after they return from the week away, but she couldn't be sure.

The black duffel bag taunted her each time she entered her bedroom in the boathouse. It sat under her bed, only the thick strap visible. To any other eyes it would be just another bag, but to Sophia, it held her future. A new ID - one she looked at often, a new learner's driver's license and of course a new birth certificate. Sophia Brown - the name written on each of the documents - still had her parents, they were alive and kicking, or so the records Noah had forged said. She wondered why he'd do that to her, create her a new identity with a life so far from her own. The mother and father of Sophia Brown could only be envisioned in memory and that broke her. He'd created a new life for her and if anyone were to look, delve deep enough, they'd find that she was the eldest child with a mother and father living in a small bungalow in the suburbs of France, most likely sipping wine and walking along the countryside. Sophia felt annoyed at her future life; Sophia Brown had a family, whereas Sophia Jenkins didn't, and that difference made no sense. It could have been that Noah thought it would help her, make her feel less lonely. But Sophia had her mindset on a separate idea, the idea that Noah saw her as broken because she didn't have a family, which only made things worse. But in reality, Noah knew about her past and wanted her to feel a sense of family in her new life, even if it was just on paper.

Over the month since Noah showed up unexpectedly at the party, she'd had time to come to terms with her new surname and in doing so, Sophia's mind felt as though it settled for the first time in her life. She pictured her parents in France enjoying their retirement and she pictured her little brother Ethan at college or travelling the world. Living within her dream made it easier to go on as she realised she had to fight for her own life. She wouldn't allow a greater power to take it away without making a difference.

The click of a camera shutter brought her from her thoughts as she packed her suitcase that laid on the double bed. She stared down the camera lens as the shutter clicked again and the photographer made himself known. "You looked lost in thought, I couldn't resist," James smiled as he climbed the rest of the way up the stairs.

"Please delete it," she said and continued to pack. "I don't really like my picture being taken."

"Why?" He walked over to her with his camera in one hand. "You look beautiful. See?" He showed her the small screen. The photograph was an action shot, she was folding a shirt and was about to place it into the suitcase, the background was blurred, showing her as the focus of his image.

Sophia shook her head. "You're just a talented photographer."

"A photographer is only as good as his subject," James said and even though Sophia knew it was a lie, she shrugged and continued her packing. He let the camera hang loosely around his neck and sat on the bed next to the suitcase. He handed her a couple of pairs of shorts and tops that she still needed to pack. A hoodie, in particular, caught his attention. "I hate to break it to you but I don't think it'll be hoodie weather in Honolulu."

She kept quiet. The suitcase she was packing wasn't for their vacation, it was for her escape. She hadn't had issues with the law, so why did she feel like a criminal on the run? And on the run from what? She couldn't understand what the danger she was in was, but she'd made a promise to Noah that she'd leave and she would not break that promise. It was also a promise to herself, a promise that she'd move forward and not be stuck in the past. She'd been stuck there for a long time, since the death of her father, and she knew that she needed a reason to leave and pursue her dreams. She promised herself she'd pursue those dreams and she didn't plan on breaking that promise either.

"I've made a list of the few things I still need to get," she told him.

James stood from the bed, took off the camera and placed it on the bedside table. "Looks like you need a lot more." He picked up her handbag and the notebook on her desk.

"What are you doing?"

"Let's go shopping," he announced and marched down the stairs with Sophia's handbag over his arm and the notebook in the other. With a small laugh, she followed him to his Land Rover.

*

"Now this one is perfect!" He gave a groan in appreciation and handed the skimpy red bikini to Sophia.

"Uh, I don't think so." She took it and hung it back onto the rail. It'd been going on like that for around half an hour. Each swimsuit Sophia chose had to be approved by James - at least that's what he said - then he would dismiss any of her choices and pick out another revealing one. "You just want to see me in a skimpy outfit!" She swatted his arm playfully as he held up a drawstring bikini top and bottoms.

He threw his arms up in the air in defence, which caught the attention of the other shoppers. "Hey, I'm not even gonna be there!" He paused for a second and a smirk crept onto his handsome face and he looked over his shoulder. "But... there are changing rooms here, so if you wanted to give me a show I wouldn't be opposed to it."

"In your dreams." Sophia took the bikini James chose and dropped it into her basket, and before he could say anything, she jokingly told him to shut up and carried on shopping.

At the checkout, the store employee rang up the items and the total amounted to just over one hundred dollars. Sophia froze, the money in her bank account wouldn't cover the total, not even nearly. Every penny she had spare went into a savings account, one she couldn't touch. She didn't have that bank card with her. "I'm sorry," she said to the employee. "I...uh...can't-"

"Here," James handed the cashier a few notes and in return, she gave him the change and the bag with Sophia's items inside.

"He's a keeper," she winked at Sophia, referencing James buying the swimsuits.

"Oh, he's not-"

James cut Sophia off and waved to the young woman behind the counter. "Have a nice day."

Sophia was angry, she didn't want James to pay for her clothing because she didn't want to owe anyone anything, and by James handing over the one hundred and five dollars to the shop employee, it meant that she would have to pay him back. It was James who had dragged her into the store in the first place and kept her attention so well occupied that she'd forgotten to look at the price tags. She'd forgotten her money situation, but most of all, she'd forgotten herself. "I can't believe you did that."

"What? Paid for your clothes? Why?"

"You're not my boyfriend James, you had no right."

He took a step back. "Whoa... where is this coming from? Can't a friend help out another friend?"

Sophia rolled her eyes. "You don't get it. I can't afford to pay you back. Not everyone has money to just throw around like it's no object."

"Will you calm down for one second and let me explain?" He asked her and she stayed silent just long enough for him to give her an explanation. "I know what it's like to be in your position and I just wish someone had given me a helping hand once in a while. It's a gift from me to you and I'll be buying the rest of your vacation clothes too, because you deserve to be helped like you've helped my cousins. They adore you and someone should repay you for the kindness and love you show them. Kelly and Jackson have never, and will never know what it's like to go without. You being there keeps them humble because they see happiness radiating from you, none of which comes from money. I see them as my own brother and sister and I'm happy to see them connecting with the world on a deeper level, not from the balcony of their fourteen bedroom mansion estate, but from the charity work they're doing." He paused for a second. "And that's all because of you."

As Sophia absorbed the words, she kept quiet and they continued to walk to the next store. She joined a queue with James once she'd picked out a few pairs of shorts, a pair of flip flops, a couple of evening outfits and toiletries. As they were a little way away from the checkout, he told her he'd be right back. She watched him leave the store and shuffled in the line. As she was nearing the checkout, James re-entered with a white bag in hand. Sophia asked him where he'd gone and what was in the small bag but James refused to tell her until after they'd eaten lunch.

Once again James purchased her items and they made their way out of the store. A couple more necessities were purchased before they headed to the food court for lunch. The time flew by quickly as they engaged in light conversation and ate their food; however, the small white bag that sat to James' right on the table kept her curiosity at its peak. His eyes followed hers to the gift and he smiled, reaching into the bag and pulling out a box. James then reached across the table and took hold of her hand telling her to close her eyes. Sophia did as asked and sat patiently. A second later she felt cool metal touch her wrist and hang there. "You can open your eyes," James said.

Sophia looked down and saw her name engraved on a silver bracelet that was occupying her wrist. "It's beautiful," she said. "Thank you." James then asked her if she knew the meaning of her name, and she shook her head.

"Your name comes from the Greek, it means wisdom. I thought this would be a good reminder of all that you've shared with my cousins, the lessons you've taught them." Tears welled in Sophia's eyes and she reached across the table pulling James into an embrace. The bill was settled by Sophia - she was insistent she paid for their food - and they left the restaurant.

James helped Sophia carry her bags to the boathouse once they arrived back and handed her the small notebook with her list written inside, which he'd kept in his back pocket for ease.

"Wait," Sophia said as he was about to leave the boathouse. "Your camera." She picked it up, he'd left it on her bedside before they left to go shopping.

James shook his head. "Keep it for now. Look through the photos, tell me what you think." He descended the stairs with a heavy jump at the end, and Sophia heard the door open and close. She was once again alone with her thoughts, yet this time the thoughts circling her mind were ones of true belonging. For the first time since living with the McKenzies, she felt herself being wanted, needed and most of all, loved.

—————
I'm starting two updates a week now! So chapters will be every Wednesday and Sunday :)