Chapter Twelve

She was back to her tiring reality the next day, and the next. The week felt as though it dragged. Brooke, Noah's fiancée, hadn't yet returned from her trip, but Sophia knew the day was closing in.  Sophia wasn't looking forward to her return, due to the awkwardness between them during their first interaction, and the fact that she had been part of Noah's infidelity was something she felt ashamed of.

The weekend at the charity gala kept her mind occupied throughout the following week as she worked. The gala was an absolute dream and she'd had more fun that weekend than she had in a long time. The pampering made her feel like a princess and for just that one day, she was able to forget her outside life, her debt and her struggles. Not only that, but she was able to share that experience with a man who had given her the second chance she needed. Noah McKenzie gave her a chance at survival and if it wasn't for him, she wondered where she would be. She owed her financial stability to him.

They had returned from work the next Friday and as usual they went their separate ways; Sophia headed to her room and Noah to his study. Her head was held high as she walked down the long corridor to her room - her work day had been productive and she felt energised, wanting nothing more than to hop in the shower and relax. With her workload in hand she backed into her room, pushing the door open with her back as her hands were full. When she turned around she came face to face with a certain someone that most definitely shouldn't have been in her room.

Brooke stood by her bed with the side dresser drawer open, and she was holding the family photograph that Sophia cherished. As soon as she saw her, Brooke dropped the photograph back into the drawer without a care in the world and with her hip, she pushed it closed, smirked and stalked out of the room. Sophia was frozen in the doorway as Brooke pushed past her.

She wanted to yell, it was the first thing that sprung to mind. She also considered trekking across the apartment to Noah and complaining like a child. But she decided to let it slide. Brooke's smirk told Sophia that she was trying to dig up dirt to potentially get her kicked out of Noah's apartment. She wondered if somehow (though it seemed unlikely) Brooke knew about the kiss that they shared, and regardless of how guilty the cheating made her feel, she didn't feel that it was right to expose Noah. Besides, he apologised for his actions, admitted his mistake and clearly it was one that he wouldn't make again.

From the living room, Brooke and Noah's conversation began the same as before and they spoke loudly. She rolled her eyes, reached for her earphones and began to tidy her room. The hamper in the corner was almost full and she decided to do a load of washing. While loading the dirty clothes into the washing machine, Sophia removed an earbud to check the cycle had started, but before she put it back in her name in conversation caught her attention.

"What the fuck do you think you were doing snooping through her room?" Noah's voice was filled with anger.

"What do you think I was doing?" Brooke said. "She's only here for your money!"

"No Brooke, you're the one here because of mon-" Sophia put her earphone back in to drown out their conversation before hearing the rest of Noah's statement. Once satisfied with the washing, she headed back to her room and switched off her music. The conversation that echoed throughout the apartment had stopped by that time and Sophia wondered what she should do.

A text appeared on her phone,

    Hey x

Who's this?

    Harry
Another text came through a second later.
    From work.

How did you get my number?

The text came through quickly,
    Liz gave it to me, I hope that's okay.

Yeah, that's okay. How are you?

    A little nervous if I'm being completely honest.

Why?

    Well, there's this woman who works with me, we sat together at lunch last week and I've been wanting to ask her on a date but she's way out of my league.

Sophia knew the woman he was talking about was her and it made her heart melt a little. She hadn't realised Harry was interested in her - to be honest, she hadn't realised anything much over the past week, as her mind had always been elsewhere.

I'm sure she isn't. Any girl would be lucky to go on a date with you.

    So what do you say...
    Would you like to?

Like to what?
She decided to torment him a little.

    You're really going to make me say it, aren't you?

Sophia's response was a simple laughing emoji with a thumbs up.

    Would you like to go on a date with me?

Sure. I'd love to.

They arranged a place to meet the following Saturday at a little restaurant not too far from Noah's apartment. She thanked him for asking her and then they ended their text exchange. While saving his number under a contact with his name, she recalled how easy it was to talk to him, not at all awkward. She felt as if she'd known him forever and was definitely looking forward to their date. She knew it'd give her a chance to push away any of the feelings she felt towards Noah. Was it the right thing to do? To only agree to a date with a man in an attempt to replace feelings? Sophia knew liked Harry, but was sure it was only as a friend.