Chapter 34: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"This shit is fucked," Gemma sniffled, wiping harshly at the tears on her cheeks.

Leanna felt the ball in her throat tighten. She'd been feeling it all day but hadn't let it break free. She remained silent but she couldn't and think that this was all because of her.

Rick wanted to send a message. He wanted her to hurt and he'd won because it was all her body and mind recognized. Every time one of them died she felt it like a small ripple in her soul. Every pack member was connected, and they all felt when a connection was severed.

"I have to talk to his family. I'll catch you later," Gemma mumbled and then disappeared down the road.

Taking in a deep breath, Leanna looked at the house looming overhead. She could smell the blood and infection and felt sick to her stomach, but she forced herself to move up the steps and into the house. The moment she stepped foot inside, she was bombarded by wolves who sought her assistance.

"There's a kid. She was attacked trying to get to the pack house," one said.

"We have a man here with two bullets to the stomach and we're running low on supplies," another snapped.

"What do we do?" A third questioned.

Leanna glanced between the three, the urgency in their eyes, and she resisted the urge to fall to her knees and scream.

Phoenix.

Phoenix, I need your help.

Several minutes of silence later, she was getting anxious and the wolves were getting restless.

I can't do this alone. It's too much.

"Luna, what do we do?"

"I DON'T KNOW!" She blurted out, tears pricking her eyes.

The three wolves looked at her with identical looks of shock and she let out a shaky breath.

"I don't know. I've never done this before, and I can't do it single-handed. I need everyone's help. Now, we're running low on supplies so Mason, I need you to run into town. Keep your head low and go on foot. If any humans try to attack, run, and focus on yourself. Take some backup if you have to..."

With the help of the pack members around her, Leanna got to work on clearing out beds for those who were critical need. Those able to move around set up tables with water and food to make it easily accessible. It was well into the night when those in critical care had all stabilized and they could finally take a break.

Completely drained of her energy, Leanna collapsed on an empty chair nearby. She took in several deep breaths as the adrenaline that had been pumping through her system dissipated. Now that she was calm, she could feel the dull throb in her side.

"We've got it from here, Luna," Mason approached her. "Go rest. You deserve it."

She nodded, hesitant to do so but her body was aching for it. Limping her way up the stairs, she walked into her bedroom and threw open the bathroom door, starting the shower. Regarding herself in the mirror, she shuddered. Her light-brown hair was nearly black from dirt, her green eyes sunken with purple bags beneath them.

Much of her skin was covered in cuts, bruises, and blood. Though what looked particularly bad was her wound in her side. She never had enough time to change so she'd rushed outside in her pajamas that consisted of a black tee and shorts. Peeling off the shirt, she winced at the bullet wound in her side. She knew it had been laced with wolfsbane but after so many months of torture with copious amounts of it, she'd grown a tolerance.

The bullet had been through and through but the silver that coated it was slowing the healing process.

Peeling away the rest of her clothes, she jumped into the shower and thoroughly washed herself. The water darkened as she scrubbed herself furiously, fighting back her tears. She'd been keeping it together and she had no idea how she'd managed to do it. Every inch of her body was screaming with exhaustion and frustration.