36 - Just the way you are

Start from the beginning

"Let's talk about something else; we're making Jaya uncomfortable," Elizabeth said, and Jaya wanted to hug her for it. "Or better yet, let's get started. We don't have much time."

When the three of them got busy in the kitchen, Jaya sneaked out to hide her stuff and cover the revealing top with a loose black blouse.

After that, she called Gus, rushing her words. "I know you're probably busy, but can you clear your schedule for this evening or earlier if possible?"

"What's wrong?"

"I'm hiding in the bathroom," she whispered. "I got ambushed by Noah's mom and his sisters. They're here to prepare—ding ding ding—a surprise party for his birthday. I'm worried they'll find out and then everyone will know."

She prayed the Santinos weren't as chatty as her own family. Who was she kidding? Italians loved good gossip too. If it were only Noah's parents, it would be different, but this was a party. She—A, didn't know if it would be a family-only event; and B—who could be trusted. By default, she didn't trust people, least of all people she'd never met before.

"Shit, okay, I'll see what I can do. Fortunately, your bump is small. Wear something loose and try not to let them see you from the side."

"I don't even have a present for him. How could I not know it's his birthday?"

"I didn't know either. He hasn't said anything." She heard paper rustling before Gus said, "You're giving him the gift of a lifetime. I, on the other hand, should get him a bottle of champagne or something. My shift is almost up. But I've got some paperwork I need to finish."

"This is going to be tough. I don't know what I'm going to do if people find out."

"We'll deal with it if it comes to that."

Jaya rubbed a hand over her mouth. "Noah would be happy if it gets out."

She could hear Gus's smile in his voice when he said, "If it were up to Noah, he'd post a picture of your bump on his Instagram, captioned I did this."

She smiled despite herself. "You should see his face every time he sees me from the side. Well, from the front too, my boobs are spectacular if I dare say so myself."

"So you're back to doing the dirty? Please tell me you're still being careful."

"I've got needs, bro, and we're careful it doesn't get too wild. Except for one time, but only because it was the first time in a long time and I may have told him I love him."

"Whoa, what? I thought you were incapable of loving someone that way?"

"Maybe I'm capable after all. We'll see. My heart is sure, but my damn mind—how are you with lobotomies?"

"God, Jaya." He laughed lightly. "That's wrong on so many levels."

"I'm scared I'll mess it up again, Gus. I swear I have some kind of defect where my brain goes berserk every time something good happens to me."

"I know you're scared, and I know it's hard growing up the way we did and not sabotaging your own happiness, but I'm so proud of you. Just try taking it one day at a time." Then he sighed. "I wish you'd tell the family. What's the worst that could happen? They might be disappointed, but after that, they're going to be happy for you when you bring home the baby. If you're doing this with Noah, you'll need their support to handle the backlash once the public finds out. And you know it's likely to come out whether you're with him or not, especially with Noah's acting career picking up."

Gus was right. Trying to hide these things was a high-stress gamble that her psyche couldn't sustain. It would be better for them if they controlled the message. The question was how.

Jaya managed to remain out of sight for most of the afternoon, pretending to study. She'd tried to study, but after she'd read the same sentence five times, she gave up. Instead, she resolved to tell her family about their relationship and the baby. She even called her mom to say she was bringing a guest to their next family get-together.

It was the right thing to do, but as strong as her feelings for Noah had become, the shame she felt for getting pregnant by accident came in a close second.

Jaya shook her head when thoughts of Sanjay popped up. The man was long gone, but the expectations he had for her still lingered. Subconsciously, she was still trying to please him, to be what he wanted, so he didn't abandon her. And that was what scared her, that she would repeat that pattern with Noah—that she might be already doing it without noticing.

She needed to call her therapist. Jaya picked up her phone to schedule an appointment. Just as she hung up, there was a knock on the half-open door.

"We're done," Dani announced from the doorway, catching her off guard. "Are you okay? You look stressed."

"Yes, sorry, I'm just tired of studying." Jaya drew her knees up to cover her bump.

Dani sat on the far end of the bed. "I admire your diligence, but how about a break? The others are arriving within the next half hour. My mom says it'd be best if you sit in the living room because Noah's expecting you to be there."

"Is he coming alone, or will Nico bring him?" As if it made a difference. If he came alone, he would, most likely, blow everything by revealing her pregnancy or their relationship, and if he was supposed to come with Nico, he'd try and take Nico somewhere else, knowing she'd be home.

"Nico is bringing him here under the pretense of having called off the engagement with Elena."

"Cruel but effective."

Jaya followed Dani into the living room, using her as a shield to hide her bump from the others' sight. As soon as she sat down, she grabbed a pillow, set it in her lap, and Penelope hopped up onto the sofa to rest her head on it. At that moment, Jaya felt the baby kick. Instinct made her lift her hand to touch her belly, but she realized it in time and placed her hand on Penelope's head instead.

They're going to find out.

Blowing out a big breath, she grabbed her phone from the side table and texted Noah: Heard about the called-off engagement. It's fine if you want to bring Nico here. Gus is taking me out to dinner soon. If I'm still here when you get back, tell Nico you asked me to watch Penelope.

She slid her phone onto the small table next to the couch and hoped for the best.

---------------------------

Thanks for reading! :) Please remember to vote and feel free to leave comments. xo—A