31 - Just give me a reason

Start from the beginning

"He's not—" Jaya tried to correct her, but the nurse talked right over her.

"You have such a strong-willed wife. She's going to be a great mom—kids need discipline."

"She sure is one of a kind." Noah nearly laughed when Jaya snarled at him. Feisty was a good sign.

"Oh, boy, you've got one handsome man at your side," Nurse Diahann said to Jaya. "He looks like he stepped out of a fashion ad."

"Chances are he actually did," Jaya muttered, folding her arms across her chest.

With all the charm he could muster, Noah said, "Could I ask you for a favor, Diahann?"

"Absolutely, dear."

"Could you write down her condition again? I have a terrible memory." Jaya reached over and squeezed his arm, but it didn't keep him from opening the note app on his phone. He handed it to the nurse, praying she was familiar with modern technology. "You see, I promised my mom I'd keep her updated on how things are going. She's worried sick."

Nurse Diahann typed something into his phone and then gave it back to him. The note read moderate anemia, high risk for preeclampsia. "Will your mom be caring for her while she's on bed rest?"

Jaya slumped back against the pillows, covering her eyes with her arm

Bed rest? That sounded serious, and so did the words 'high risk.'

"How long does she have to be on bed rest again?"

The nurse gave him a look that said beauty and brains don't go together, huh? "Unfortunately, there's a chance it'll be for the remainder of her pregnancy. But who knows, things may look differently next month if she gets plenty of rest."

He smiled at the nurse. "Would you mind giving us a moment?"

"In a minute, dear. It's time for your medication, JD."

"JD?" he repeated.

"Jane Doe," Nurse Diahann explained. "She refused to give us her name when she got here."

Noah shook his head at Jaya the moment the nurse turned her back to them.

***

A minute later, they were alone. Normally Noah's presence calmed her, but this time her stomach wouldn't stop tingling—even after his long hug earlier, which must've been almost a dozen sets of twenty seconds.

Jaya tsked. "Life must be easy when you're this good-looking. Doesn't it bore you to always get what you want if you just lay on the charm?"

He ignored her and typed something into his phone, then glanced at her. "Anemia is something related to blood cells, right?"

She averted her eyes, worried how he was going to react when he read that preeclampsia could lead to serious, even fatal complications for both her and the baby. If she didn't get better, there was a chance they'd need to deliver the baby early.