Chapter ︳34

"Lacuna"

(Latin/n.) A blank space, a missing part.

) A blank space, a missing part

~ Countess Mai ~

Fucking Ying Yue, that dumb bitc-

Kissing my teeth disagreeably loud, I could feel the jagged rocks under the thin sole of my shoes, the ground stupidly uneven and uncharted. My breathing came in quick pants, bruises lingering on my arms, thighs burning as we marched up the cliff at a steady pace. The looming trees above provided ample shade and cover, kicking up dust as Azula trailed in front.

My lips parted, another exhausted breath escaping me as I narrowed my eyes – Azula.

Her long ponytail swayed side to side like a whip, face void of any expressive emotion, trekking forward with purpose. Her shoulders were squared, not breaking a sweat from the steepness of the hill or the humid air. If I didn't know better, I would've said she was completely fine – but I knew better.

"Azula," I muttered, voice monotoned, barely audible. But the speed at which Azula's posture tensed proved as evidence that she heard me loud and clear. Still sharp as ever.

Effortlessly, she looked over her shoulder, raising a perfectly groomed brow at me. "What?" Azula clipped, jaw clenched as she bore over me impatiently. I ignored the sharpness in her tone, a gentle breeze causing the bangs that framed her face to twirl—the way she held her head high, nose in the air.

Her pace didn't flatter once, high-tailing at an alarmingly hasty pace. Don't blame her, the faster we get away from the Kingdom, the better. The scenery around us was different from the last hide-out she brought me to. The landscape seemed thicker, so dense that one could easily scream for help, and not a single soul would hear—a perfect hide-out.

"Are we close?" I bore, rolling my eyes as my foot nudged a rock. "If I wanted to go on a nature walk, I would've gone to work with my sister."

The stone tumbled, skipping by Azula's feet.

She scoffed under her breath, eyes judging as she twisted her body forward, continuing on her march. "Why, tired? Try not to get your ass kicked by a peasant next time." Azula expired, and I could hear the way her lips curved upwards at the insult.

My eyes glowered once more, "Nice scar you have on your hand."

Azula stopped.

The way her hands quaked, balling into fists before letting go-

My pace eased, cautiously treading behind her before coming to a complete stop, surveying the way she towered above. Despite her back facing me, I could feel it. An aura of malice – down to the twitch in her fingertips.