Chapter ︳06

La Douleur Exquise

(French/n.) The heart-wrenching pain of wanting the affection of someone unattainable.

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

Little flakes of snow continued to fall and stick itself to the outside of my windows. A small sigh left my lips as I cradled my face in my hands, leaning against my vanity and continued to stare aimlessly at the falling snow. Suki and Toph went, using the excuse that they had to get ready for the day, but most likely since they knew I needed some space; to breath, to think. The truth was, as upset as I was at Katara, deep down I knew she had a point. Yet, I couldn't let myself sink in the truths of her statements.

It hurt — a lot. I huffed and covered my face completely. It was stupid to be this upset, I had just met Zuko, yet the thought of this...whatever this was, not being able to turn into something more because of my bending hurt. It was one thing for us not to be together because some asshole said so, but it's another thing when you are the reason why a relationship couldn't work. Even if the relationship never does work out, I prefer to let it naturally dissipate rather than never to try at all.

I bite my lips anxiously, but maybe Katara is wrong? Why would Zuko continue flirting with me, he knows I can bend. Suki even said it herself, Zuko is not one to play around with people's feelings. A heavy sigh erupted once again; I'm going to go insane if I keep thinking about this. I was partially thankful for the loud knock on my door that stopped my endless, self-defeating thoughts from going too far. "Come in," I said softly, disappointed that the fact I was upset was evident in my voice.

The door opened, and to my surprise, Aang had a soft smile on his face as he stepped in. He seemed surprised to see me so visibly defeated, did Katara not tell him anything about our argument? "Did Katara not come by?" Aang asked. I crossed my arms and huffed, "Trust me, she came by." Aang looked at me puzzled, "Did she not tell you about our...disagreement?" I asked hesitantly, not wanting to get more people involved. Aang frowned and nodded his head, "She did, but she told me she was on her way to apologize to you." This time I was shocked.

"She was going to apologize?"

"She was, something must have popped up," Aang said, a soft smile reappearing upon his face. I played with my fingers, "I have to apologize too." I said softly. The fact is, as hurt as I was, it was the truth. And I was not innocent in any means since I let the conversation escalate. Aang chuckled and walked over to me, "You know the way Katara is. Although she means well, sometimes she can come off a bit...rough. But you know she cares about you, a lot. That's the only reason why she got upset." I looked up at Aang and saw him kneel across from me, "Besides that, I can tell you right now that you have my full support." I titled my head to the side, confused. Support?