Chapter ︳31

"He was her warmth / she was his peace"

(English/quo.) By Even Sanders; 'The Better Man Project.'

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

Anger? No...maybe frustration?

A small huff flew through my lips, eyes scanning Zuko. He sat on the other side of Appa's saddle with Aang and Sokka, discussing something. And while I knew the responsible thing would be to listen to what Toph and Suki had to say – I couldn't.

Curiosity had me in its grip, studying Zuko with such care, I wish I paid this much attention to my everyday life.

It was just that...Zuko was such a puzzle, and it was maddening.

I was observant. Naturally learning the way people spoke, move – and in a matter of seconds, I could figure someone out. But with Zuko – I couldn't. He was secretive, and that just made my sense of inquisitiveness grow. What's going through Zuko's head? What was he feeling?

Just briefly skimming Sokka, I could tell he was focused on whatever they were conversing. The way he crossed his arms, leaning forward with his head titled down – those were all tale-tell signs that he was attentive to the conversation. I even had Aang figured out! When his hands rested on his lap, it meant he was calm, but since his fingers were tightly linked, it meant he was concerned. It was little gestures like those that made me understand everyone's mood – except Zuko.

His lips were pressed tight, which in theory would mean he was upset, but the way he sat, leaning back with his legs propped...Lounging meant he was at ease but...why are his arms crossed?

"Is Princess still staring at Zuko?"

"You guessed it – come on! You live with the guy, what more do you want?" Suki groused, her hand shoving me jokily. My gaze broke from Zuko, a faint blush covering my cheeks as I bashfully smiled.

"S-sorry. I must have zoned out." Suki rolled her eyes, giving me a look that proved she knew I was lying, before speaking, "Mhmm...well, what were we talking about again?"

"How Princess figured out Mai was the snitch."

My mouth opened and closed, uneasy, since, at the mere mention of Mai, the boys rapidly shifted their focus on me. "Toph has a point, we never did ask..." Sokka budded. My arms cradled my body, trying desperately to blend in with Appa's saddle...or his fur... How about I throw myself over? How far of a drop could it possibly be?

"It's a long story..." I started.

Toph snorted, "We got time. Spill."

"We can talk about it when we get to the kingdom, we have much to discuss once we arrive – I prefer we don't waste our breath." Zuko asserted, an attempt to bring the whole topic to an end. I let out a breath, our eyes aligning momentarily. He gave me a knowing nod, obliviously sensing my uneasiness and a wave of appreciation engulfed me. He's too good for me. With that statement, Zuko shifted his gaze towards the horizon.