Voices coming from the hallway, made her drop the pouch in shock. She watched a coin roll out of the bag and under her bed. (Y/n) waited until the people outside passed by, then crouched down to grab the coin, but her hand brushed something else. A box.

Huh? (Y/n) thought. I don't remember putting anything down there.

She slid the box out from under the bed. When she finally got a glimpse of the wooden object, she immediately recognized it. It was Samantha's. (Y/n) ran her hand over the rough surface. Another part caught her eye. The metal latch glistened in the light, calling her to open it. She did.

Inside the box was a ring and a sheet of crumpled paper. Her curiosity compelled her to grab the paper and unfold it. Her eyes read over the words. She gasped and let go. The paper fluttered to the ground.

"No," (Y/n) whispered. She brought her hand to her mouth. "No no no."

(Y/n) suddenly felt sick.

Maybe I read it wrong, she tried to convince herself. Surely that's not true.

Her hands shook as she looked over the paper for a second time.

"Dear Tristan," she read, "You're probably wanting to know why I'm writing you, after all, we see each other so much. Well, I'm too much of a coward to tell you this in person for fear of what you'll think of me. It's funny, you always say I'm fearless, but I'm not. I'm scared. Because I'm pregnant, and you're the father. I've known for months. I haven't told anyone yet, but I know that I won't be able to hide it for much longer. I don't know how you will react, but no matter what, I'll always love you."

After (Y/n) finished reading, she let out a muffled sob. Her body ached with an indescribable loss. She wanted to scream out and cry, but she couldn't. She would have to hold it in and wait, because if she didn't, she would lose Myrrine too.

(Y/n) took a deep breath and slipped the ring and paper into her pockets. She closed the box and slid it back under the bed. After grabbing the coin, she got up and tiptoed to the bathroom. Her feet brought her to the side of the room, where the loose tile was. It was easy to move, and within a few minutes, (Y/n) was able to slip into the passage and move the tile back.

It took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the dim tunnel. She reached out to grab the lantern that Myrrine had left on the ground. Everything was going to plan. Now, she just had to find her way to the exit.

The underground tunnels were dark and stuffy. Every now and then, (Y/n) would hear the soft pitter of footsteps that belonged to something much smaller than a person. She didn't bother to turn and look. She just looked straight ahead.

A sudden clatter made her go still. It sounded close. Then, she heard a voice.

"Hey you alright?" a male voice asked.

"Yeah just dropped my lantern, that's all."

"Good," the other said, "I don't know why they have us patrol these tunnels, there is nothing down here but rats."

(Y/n) nodded. They weren't wrong, she was in the tunnel after all. (tis a joke)

She heard their footsteps getting closer and she panicked. The tunnel only had one passage. They would definitely see her. Her eyes frantically scanned the walls looking for something, anything.

She noticed a small opening near the bottom of the tunnel, and crawled under it. The space was small, but it got taller the farther she went in. Soon enough, she was able to sit up. Her shoulders relaxed.

That was close.

She heard the guards' footsteps pass her hiding spot.

(Y/n) was suddenly hit with a pungent odor that could only be described as rotting flesh. She plugged her nose with her hand.