Chapter 10

Ava's Pov:

When I opened the door to James, he looked extremely confused. Of course, he would, I had called him in the middle of the day, and I had not made any sense of the phone. But nothing made sense, so how should I behave normally? My mind was in a mess. I had to tell him what I figured out.

"What happened? Why did you have to call me all of a sudden?" he asked me, breaking me from my stupor and deep thoughts. With a pale look, I answered him, "Have you ever heard of Noah Sullivan?"

He replied immediately. "No. I mean I know he's on campus, but I have never met him in person."

"Noah was like a bully." I absentmindedly told him, while thinking of the flashbacks I remember of him. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I had not thought about Noah when James had mentioned if Mason had someone he hated, or someone hated Mason. He should be the first person I would suggest but that happens to your mind when a tragedy strikes in your life. Mason was the kindest soul, Noah, though was trouble, "Noah is not a good guy,"

"But why are you telling me about him, Ava?" James sure looked a little too confused b the way that I had called him out of nowhere and he couldn't grasp his mind around anything. It seemed really weird and he wanted an explanation.

"Today, I had an encounter with him. He tried to mock me about Mason's death. But in the end, he gave me Mason's lucky scarf."

"I still can't get your point, Ava," he said annoyed.

"Noah was always annoying Mason, bullying him. He was his nightmare." I told. In one of Mason's letters, there is a mention of something being stolen from his apartment. And I think it could be that maybe Noah is the one responsible for Mason's death."

The realization that dawned upon him was pretty evident. He looked shocked, but then composed himself. "You have a point. If as you're saying Noah wasn't fond of Mason, then he could be a suspect. We have another suspect."

Hearing this sentence made my hair stand. On one hand, I was happy that we maybe had found justice for Mason but on the other hand, I was worried about the future. We didn't know Noah that well. He could be dangerous.

"So now what do we do?" I asked James. He looked deep in thought.

"You should go and talk to him about his alibi. We need to know what he was doing the days that Mason suffered." James explained to me.

"Why me?" I didn't want to go meet Noah, I didn't want to be near him.

"I don't know him, if he is the one, won't that make him suspicious that out of nowhere a person just comes and talks to him about a certain evening and his whereabouts?" James talked as if he was explaining to a child.

I glared at him. I had to do this, I thought to myself, there is no way out. I had to do it for Mason."Ok, I can do that. But how do we know that he could be the one?" There as still that problem. We couldn't fully suspect him based on two clues. But, they were our only clues. The only thing I could trust.

"Maybe this letter will help us find out," James said as he passed a letter to the table.

At this moment I prayed for this to end fast as all this has been making me feel terrible.