Episode 5: Big Break

"I'm going to be acting in the same series as Emily Pinault?"

Ray nodded his head excitedly and spared her a confident cock of his head. "Am I capable or what?"

She remembered that when she had started out in this field the actress' name was already well-known by the public. The man standing in front of her even scolded her once about the fact that her talent was incomparable. But as far as the brunette knew she hadn't taken on any projects in a long while. There was even a big scandal about her company mistreating her which went viral on the internet the other day.

It wasn't totally unforeseeable for something like that to happen to an unknown actress, but to somebody like Emily Pinault?

That was just plain ridiculous with how gifted and accomplished she has been from a very young age in her career.

If the woman recalled it correctly she even had a Golden Globe award under her belt.

It made Valentina curious about who else was going to be involved in this project.

Though she didn't want to hand it to Ray due to her ever-so ambivalent feelings towards him, this was downright the biggest thing he had ever done as her manager.

At her lack of words, the man continued, behaving as if he was on a sugar rush. "And that's not the best part. The entire project is going to be covered by Director Tsang. He's basically a prodigy in these areas and I told you it was going to be distributed by Metflix right? This is a full package, pumpkin! It doesn't get any better than this."

"Wow," The woman blew out in awe. "You told me this project was going to be big but not this big."

"You're welcome." He boasted unashamedly.

Then his hands clasped themselves before her reverently. "It's a lucky thing that you've made a name for yourself. After doing so, it's been getting easier and easier for you to land these roles. This might be your best one yet."

She gave him a wry smile before asking. "I'm going to be the second lead this time right? And I don't mean them saying that and then the next thing I know I'm playing some boring Betsy role which doesn't even get me thirty minutes screen time."

"I know it sounds hard to believe after all this time of taking on filler roles but you're going to get enough exposure this time. Trust me."

She nodded in compliance, mostly because of the confidence in his eyes that had never been there in all her years of knowing him.

"Okay, but if that's not the case I won't be settling for it this time. I should be moving forward in my career, not backwards."

Her warning rang throughout the space of the car and he looked through the window upon it. "Okay, I got it." He replied dismissively before turning back to her. "Now can we please go in for the script reading? I swore I just saw the whole cast head inside while we've sat here talking."

Valentina nodded and reached for her purse.

When she stepped inside the meeting room, the first thing that got her attention was how focused everyone appeared. The first reading for shows or movies was very important and it highlighted whether one was truly suitable for the role they have been given or not. It seemed everyone was going over all their self-tips and adjusting their state of minds. That made her become even more nervous than she was before. So much that it felt like the butterflies in her stomach had turned into a whole zoo.

As her eyes scanned the room, she saw the director, screenwriter and other important people. Her pupils stilled in shock at the sight of the lead actress sitting beside a chair which had her name on it. When she went and sat there, Valentina was stunned by how much more beautiful the woman appeared up close.