Episode 4: Apologies

"We need to talk."

Jason's face settled into a somber expression at his fiancée's words.

They were like a sharp cut to the heart, but he willed himself not to be consumed by it. He knew the importance of this conversation. It was going to be the gateway in getting Valentina to forgive him.

"Okay," he nodded, placing down some documents on the desk before him. "Let's talk."

At being given his utmost attention, the woman took a seat before him with an unsmiling face.

"About what happened between us yesterday..."

"I know, I'm sorry." He interrupted easily yet meaningfully.

Her eyes widened at how quick he was to admit his faults this time around.

"What..." She trailed off in a daze, eyes assessing him from head to toe.

Then, with her will hardening as she recalled just how disrespectful he had been, her speech continued. "Wait. Don't cut me off. Just hear what I'm saying for a minute." Her voice tried not to give way to the anger she had unsuccessfully slept with the night before.

The man folded his hands as he leant forward and nodded, permitting her to go on.

"Somebody told me that the way we've been going about handling this little power play problem in our relationship hasn't been right and I fully agree." Valentina said strongly.

His eyebrows knitted together. "You've been talking to other people about our problems? I thought you had no close friends here."

"Is that all you got from my speech?"

His jaw locked.

"No."

She eyed him up and down.

"Good."

Her mouth blew out a deep breath, trying her best to not get caught up in the suffocating atmosphere around them.

If she had, this entire conversation would lead to an argument and the whole purpose of her coming here, to speak with him would have been meaningless.

"I need you to stop depreciating the nature of my work. It's unattractive, rude and quite frankly if you don't learn to be supportive or even respectful of it we're not going to work out in the long run."

"So you're giving me an ultimatum?" He queried in disbelief.

"Why do you have to see it like that? I'm asking you to not be a jerk about what I do for a living. Not only does it provide for me as I've said before but it also makes me very happy. Even if the company I'm stuck in is a pain in the ass.

"I already told you that I can cover the expenses of that clause you missed in your contract. I can pay for it." He stressed, slightly annoyed.

"And what happens after that? I owe you? With the way that you're acting right now I don't think that would be a better alternative for me."

His eyes blinked rapidly at the cold, hard truth coming from her.

"You simply just cannot reel in on that inferiority complex you have against me, can you?"

Valentina let out a chuckle of disbelief.

"I have an inferiority complex? Because of you?"

He nodded boldly.

"By society's standard I'm better than you in every aspect of my life. I come from a reputable family, school, and not to mention the career that I have is incomparable. But you don't have to worry, I've always been understanding of this mindset that you have. It's not your fault after all."