Episode 64: Not Your Fault

As he stood outside in the air, finally being able to breathe, Chase felt for the first time in years he was no longer being haunted by the memories of his past.

At that revelation, he now knew that he was never the problem.

Chase knew he had given the relationship he had with Natasha his all, but as it went down in flames with infidelity, he couldn't help but to think where he'd gone wrong.

But he never did.

It was all a misunderstanding.

The price to pay for a lack of communication between two people. Two people in love at that.

"What the hell just happened?" Valentina was trying to register the encounter in her mind.

"Did we just meet your ex and did she just spill the beans that I may or may not have been the cause of your breakup?"

Chase turned to her quickly at the remorseful tone she said that with.

He let go of her hand, only to use them to grasp her neck steadily, making her look up at him with glossy eyes.

"It's not your fault," he told her firmly.

She blinked at him.

How did he—

"So don't let your thoughts go there." He demanded swiftly.

Heaving a deep sigh, he rubbed at the column of her throat and she swallowed harshly at the remaining tension.

"You didn't mean to get your lipstick on me, and truthfully, it really doesn't matter now. Yeah, I was hurt because of the way our relationship ended. Partly because my ego wouldn't allow for me to believe that someone could be as unsatisfied with me as to cheat. But mainly because I'd been going around with a noncommittal lifestyle and for once when I gave myself to someone it blew up in my face."

Valentina rested her hand on his arm in an effort of offering some form of comfort despite how shitty she was feeling.

It doesn't matter that she'd never meant to smear his clothes and have his fiancée find it but something about her being a wedge in their relationship, indirectly, caused her to feel guilty.

She knew it was unwarranted but the entire thing felt so incredulous and shocked her to the core.

As the dots were connected, that was the resultant feeling she got—being sick to the stomach off accountability.

She had been the reason no matter what.

Her dumb matte lipstick had been!

It was funny how all of this was running through her mind but Chase's was on a whole other track.

He was feeling goddamn relief at the entire situation.

If Natasha was willing to judge his loyalty based on a mere smudge of red, then what was their relationship to begin with?