Episode 24: Him vs Him

Long chapter. Hope you enjoy x.

P.S. don't forget to vote and comment. It means the world. Thanks. :)))

Episode 24: Him vs Him

After dealing with the aftermath of the photoshoot, Valentina found herself standing in front of Chase's office door.

Don't ask how she ended up there because that was a mystery she was trying to solve herself.

All the woman knew was that there was this unignorable guilt asking her to verbally air her gratitude towards him for what he did earlier.

His secretary had been way too badgering to handle, but she had managed to convince her that there was unfinished business between them.

With a knock on the door, she heard a deep, smooth voice respond. "Come in."

Her hand gripped the knob and she entered the office.

It was much bigger than she had expected. To the point that her attention had been completely stolen from the man who raised his head to look up at her. The view over the city was probably worth thousands and she couldn't help but cherish it.

"Valentina?" His voice came out somewhat confused. "What are you doing here? Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine," she swore, hands waving in rejection to his negative assumption.

He visibly relaxed, hands putting aside the file in his hold and staring at her with undivided attention.

"Then what gives me the pleasure of having you visit my office?"

With thumbs automatically knotting themselves around each other, she swallowed nervously.

Giving credit where credit is due was much harder than she thought.

Chase watched her with expectant eyes.

"I wanted to tell you thank you...for um...what you did earlier. I appreciated it."

Her eyes shifted away awkwardly at the end of her speech, especially with the way his gaze seemed to deepen at the words.

She felt him stand up.

His figure came into view before her suspicions were confirmed.

"I'm just doing my job."

Her stomach felt an uncomfortable jab.

His job?

So what he did was only a result of his responsibility as the head of this company?

Not because she was involved?

Huh, she thought. There you go again...getting ahead of yourself.

At that self-humbling, the woman gave him a stiff nod before turning to head for the door.

"Not only as your superior at work but also as a friend."

She paused at that.

Turning to look up at him, Valentina spared Chase a pointed look. "I don't recall agreeing to be friends with you."

"I thought about it and I realized you don't have to. Both our friends are married by law so that means we're mutual friends."

"And what law is that?"

"Mine." He grinned.

She felt her eyes roll back at it.

"You're going to be the death of me I swear."