Episode 61: Getaway

Episode 61: Getaway

Her mother stood in the doorway, her hands slowly covering her mouth as she processed the image of who was before her. Her daughter took in her features, soft yet lingering with a telltale of sternness. She wore a pretty yellow dress, modest by today's standards. There was no surprise that she was dressed up even in the comfort of her own home given her past.

"Cariño, ¿quién es?"

Valentina heard the forlorn voice of her father before his greyed head poked itself from behind the wooden door. His eyes widened like saucers as he saw his baby girl and reacted automatically, pushing past her mom and pulling her into a hug. Valentina felt herself stop breathing at the force of it.

"Mi princesa," he exhaled, disbelief lacing his tone.

He held her tight and it took a minute before he pulled away and held her at arm's length. His eyes checked to see if it was really her. "Is it really you, Valentina?"

"Sí, soy yo papá."

"¡Ay, gracias Jesús!" He exclaimed then pulled her into another embrace.

Chase watched on the sidelines, truly understanding the depth of the situation. How his girlfriend's absence had affected her family gravely when her mother started sobbing into the palms of her hands.

The woman was stuck in the doorway, as if she was afraid to step outside—scared that this moment was something her mind had conjured up.

It broke his heart to say the least when Valentina had to draw for her, having her join their tearful reunion.

"I've missed you, mamá."

The woman only nodded into her husband's shoulder. The three of them were still bonded around each other when a skinny, dark haired girl came out. Chase held his breath at the striking resemblance between her and Valentina.

"What's going on? What's all the noise for—Valentina!" The squealing girl threw herself into the mix.

"Helena, what the hell? You've gotten so tall!"

"I know! But you're one to talk! You're built like a freaking tower now. A pretty one though."

"What did I say about curse words?" Her hand found the little mischief's ear.

"Ow!"

Taking away from the fact that this was supposed to be a heartbreaking situation, Chase couldn't help but chuckle at the little display.

Four pairs of eyes turned towards him.

He felt himself froze.

"And who might this be?" Her mother asked in English out of courtesy for the non-Hispanic looking man.

For the first time since she arrived, Valentina felt her lungs receive the right amount of air they deserved.

She went to Chase, took his hand in hers and brought him closer to her family.

"Mamá, papá, Helena, this is Chase. meet my parents, Valeria and Julian Flores."

Her parents looked at the man by her side with clear skepticism.

It wasn't hard to get the picture here.

Their daughter was dating this man and not that Jason boy anymore. She had moved on and from the looks of it, it seemed like it had been a while now.

Her mother for one knew she was elated by the fact that she had gotten herself out of that mess of a relationship. She never liked her ex-fiancé from all the things she heard of him, a lot of good more than bad but his negative attributes never failed to bring alarms in her head. She had prayed one day her daughter would feel the way about his disposition towards things. It was a miracle that it had happened before she had already walked down the aisle and said "I do."