Chapter 35

The low rumble of the engine was heard as Zach pulled out of the driveway, leaving the events of tonight behind us.

I let my cheek rest on the cold window, a huge difference to the heated argument from just moments ago.

"Hey," Zach whispered. His hand found its way to my knee, skimming his thumb back and forth in soothing motions.

I felt my rigidness relax slightly under his touch as he let out a heavy sigh. "Skylar, I'm so sorry. I-"

I cut him off, my voice a low murmur as the night's occurrences became known in the softness of it. "Please, not now. None of this was your fault and I'm not really feeling up to talking about it now."

No, it was my fault. My fault for being me.

He exhaled, his hand leaving my knee to run a hand through his unruly hair before returning to its previous position, his thumb continuing with rubbing my knee.

"Mmm, okay. We'll talk about it later."

I gave a nod, my eye being squished as the skin against the glass made no sign of budging. I watched as a raindrop landed on the window, waiting patiently then trickling down till it was no longer a raindrop.

More followed, settling on the window before running down.

I looked over to Zach, a frown perched on his face –most likely going over what had happened tonight.

My hand moved, hovering over his before taking it into mine. It felt so warm and I watched as the frown dissolved from his face, his muscles slackening.

The rain started to fall harder and I focused my attention on the road ahead, not wanting to creep him out by staring for too long.

We whizzed passed a neon sign, the only source of pink light on the road. Zach look towards me briefly before giving me a small smile.

The car started to slow down as his voice replaced the silence, "You hungry?"

I shook my head, my automatic response being no. Although in reality, I was starving. I had only had a few bites of the lasagne, if that.

The car came to a stop as he shot me a cheeky grin and I responded with a confused stare. Not even a minute later, we were on the other side of the road and driving back to the neon sign.

"Zach, what are you doing?"

"Getting us food. I know you say you're not hungry but I'm famished. And you hardly ate. Not that we could do much eating anyways." He stated, muttering the last part- although more to himself than to me.

He parked in front of the fast food restaurant before turning the engine off, the only light illuminating our faces being the bright fuchsia that stood somewhere above us.

We faced each other, his eyes boring into mine as he rose his eyebrows, "Ready?"

I began to shake my head, "I really don't want anyth-"

He pulled the key out of its position. "We can get some dessert for Dyl, you can't go home empty handed."

I narrowed my eyes jokingly, he knew Dylan was my soft spot.

I rolled my eyes, releasing his hand to nudge him gently. "Okay, fine."

He answered with a show of his pearly whites and readied his hand on the door handle.

I did the same but he stopped me.

"Whoah, whoah whoah. I'll get out first, it's chucking it down, just hang on."