afraid

"i must ask," gigi confessed... "why is it you don't want to talk about what happened between the two of us on set?" the question had been in gigi's mind for months but he had always been too afraid to ask.

"i guess... i didn't want to admit to myself that it happened." the words came out of crystal's mouth, slow and calm, contradicting the usual tone his words inhabited.

"right." gigi replied. the bluntness of his words came out with an unintentionally criticising tone.

...

"it's not that i regret what happened... "

"then what is it crystal?"

"i just... don't want to hurt myself. i know I told you before that i was afraid i would hurt you, and yes that is true, but i am afraid of hurting myself too."

"how so?" gigi questioned. he was almost certain he knew crystals answer, but he still wanted to hear the words come out of crystal's mouth. he wanted closure.

"I like you gigi... well i more than like you, but... i love my boyfriend. i know whether he would be jealous of what we have or not, he would always put my happiness before his own..."

crystal paused for a few seconds before continuing to let out what he was thinking. it was clear to gigi that crystal was choosing his words with precaution.

"i don't want to abuse the freedom he has given me. i never asked to be in an open relationship with him but he insisted he wanted to have one... perhaps out of fear I would end up leaving him if he didn't."

gigi didn't want to understand. he didn't want to understand that he could never be crystals no. 1. he also didn't want to understand why another boy would love crystal the why he did. but he did.

"why would he be afraid you'd leave him?" gigi eventually uttered.

"I'm not sure... possibly because I'm a lot younger than him and i aspire a life much different to the one he dreams of. i don't want to live in Missouri forever. yes i love my home, but i love the world more and i want to experience everything it has to offer."

"you do realise you could have all of that with me..."

...

"i know. that's why I'm scared."