"Okay, your friend was looking for you "

Which friend?

"Who? "
"Ehm. ... Yinka's son "

Juwon.

"I've seen him "

The boy has mind o.  Asking my mother where I was

"Jasmine, I  hope you're not following boys"

Ehn?  This woman

"No ma "

Remind me to kill Juwon

"Better "

Soon,  the mass started and I began to settle back into my joyful mood. The priest, Fr Gabriel made the mass as lively as he could and that was very lively. Praise and worship was inserted into the homily and I danced off my worries , feeling freedom I hadn't felt in a long while.

The mass ended at fifteen minutes to twelve and immediately it did , I looked at mum "Merry Christmas,  our birthday is in fifteen minutes."

     Mum laughed "Let's go to the Blessed Sacrament and pray. That's a wonderful way to enter another year"

I agreed with her and we left the pew. On our way,  greetings of 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy birthday' met us and mum radiated with happiness. I hadn't seen her this happy in a while. I wished the glow on her face would stay permanently.

   We got to the Blessed Sacrament and prayed till few minutes past twelve and immediately we finished,  I literally jumped on mum

"Happy Birthday mummy"

The day has come!
Excited! Excited

"Thank you my dear"

The church premises was still very full as people stepped outside after the mass and wished themselves 'Merry Christmas'

"Iya Jasmine " a voice said and I know that voice all too well
Mrs Adeola. 

The woman was probably coming to ask for her own birthday cake and Christmas rice.

Mrs Adeola approached us and pushed aside the others greeting mum and I

"Ah!  Iya Jasmine, happy birthday o. Long life and prosperity, may you live to reap the fruit of your labour. Your hardwork will never be in vain o. May you celebrate more birthdays oooo "

"Amen ma " mum replied, slightly bending her knee
I tuned out the noise around me and scanned the crowd for Clara or Faith. I saw both of them standing with Juwon and I decided not to go to them.  After Juwon's display , I didn't think I could stay in the same space with him. At least not for now, so I decided to go to the car and wait. Then I remembered grandma and Aunty Ebere and I sighed. So I decided to just flow with the greeting.  You never know, free cash can just enter your hand.

After about twenty minutes, mum was able to make it out of the crowd that enveloped her and sang birthday songs to her

"Let's take pictures at the crib before going" I suggested to mum and she agreed.  We went to the crib side inside  the church and took selfies and got Faith to take us some pictures.
After the pictures, on our way out of the church we met Fr Gabriel just leaving some parishioners who engaged him in a conversation

"Mrs Okoli and baby Okoli " Fr Gabriel greeted us
"Good morning father " mum and I said

"Happy birthday ma."

"Thank you father"

"Jasmine, I hope you're going to treat your mum to a nice birthday party " Fr Gabriel said , laughing