Chapter 5

With the rustle of the bushes I jumped as Sharni, the girl from the Pizzeria came rushing out at me. With a hand on my chest I glared at her.

"Oh for hell's sake do not do that out here, i could have had a gun and shot you or worse!" I all but shouted at her as I scolded her.

"Wella gun is no use and what is worse that you can do?" she asked but i can see a knowing look in her eyes that starts to put me on edge.

"I-I coulda screamed in your face, my screams loud!" I rushed to explain giving the worst or else ever.

"I'm the only one here that wants to hear you scream!" smirked Constantin as he came through the same bushes followed by the girl I seem to have a pull towards Qwen.

"Eww gross brother just gross!" Sharni started to do puking movements with her arms.

"Will you two grow up ever?" Qwen asks in all seriousness. The siblings look at each other and back to me and Qwen.

"No!" they exclaim together and laugh. Despite it all I laugh with them and Qwen joins.

"What are you doing walking through the woods?" I ask as I pick up a stone and throw it in the river. It feels weird for others being here with me , but at the same time it feels right. Weirder.

"Just exploring, we love nature!" Qwen answers as she skips a stone across the river's surface, making me smile as I do the same.

"More like you love the bunnies!" quipped Sharni as she sat down on the grassy bank behind us.

"Bunnies?" I look at her waiting for an explanation.

"Ignore the idiots behind us, they joke at my expense. I love nature and all animals, not just bunnies" she explains with a sharp look behind at Sharni and Constantin who are laughing for no reason. "Why are you out here alone?"

"I come here most days, it holds a special meaning to me!" I answer simply.

"Do your parents like you walking alone out here?" Qwen asks while she looks out at the water.

"They ok with it, they trust me. But then my mother would not be happy I'm here so no telling if you see her!" I tag on the last bit as my Mother gets upset that I come here a lot, I hate my mother getting upset by me.

"Ah cool" Qwen seems upset at my answer. "You lived here your whole life?"

"Well for as long as I can remember we have lived here, my parents are from New Shadows up north before that tho!" I absentmindedly answered as I tried to skim a stone farther.

"Why did you all move here?" Constantin asked "New Shadows is a great place, it's near where me and Sharni are from!"

"For me!" I muttered as I found the perfect stone, not noticing Qwens eyes start to water up until I looked up. "You okay?"

"Yes sorry allergies, what do you mean for you?" she pressed.

"You will hear eventually if you stay a while. My parents found me here when I was four years old, at least they think I was four. They saved me and adopted me when my family never came for me.!" I explained simply, but I see Qwen is looking more and more upset, Sharni and Constantin are looking somber too. "It's okay guys I have a great family now."

Getting in position I skim my rock over the water and manage to make it skim 13 times all the way to the other side of the river, it's only after I realized I had used too much power, more than a normal girl should have.

I expect questions or at least weird looks but they are just looking at me normally, all of them just looking slightly sad.

"Where did you get that lovely bracelet?" Qwen asked as she reached out to run her fingers gently over my bracelet.