7: Living With a Parasite

Start from the beginning

"Somewhat," I answered. "Well, I did have to do some research on the school before I came here, right?"

Can she see through my lie if I make eye contact with her? I averted my gaze towards the window.

"On the tennis team?" Ai Qi pressed on.

"Hey, I like tennis too, it doesn't hurt to know who I might be better than in Yu Qing," I smirked.

Ai Qi sighed, "Yue En, can you teach me tennis one day?"

"What for? Don't tell me it's for Si Yang,"

"It's not him, I'm being honest," Ai Qi said. I turned my head to look at her, and she had a wistful look on her face like she was genuinely deep in thought. I could tell she was sincere because she didn't look lovesick or anything. "I'm just thinking, I should have another hobby other than studying, perhaps,"

"You study as your hobby?" I recoiled in shock.

"I have strict parents," Ai Qi revealed. "I've only learnt the violin when I was younger, and I quit at Grade 9, and I went for art classes and they never lasted long either. I never really found my interest in the arts, I guess."

"Ah," I said, "Sure, I'll practise my tennis while I'm giving you lessons on it too,"

"Thanks, Yue En," Ai Qi smiled. "My stop is just here, see you tomorrow?"

"See you!" I waved as she alighted the bus, and I was left to my own thoughts.

Hobbies... what Ai Qi had mentioned got me wondering. I've always thought of my hobby as both tennis and dancing, more so the latter than the former. I could say that they may have been my talents, but I wasn't as fortunate as Ai Qi to go for classes of such since my childhood. I've been learning things on my own, researching for my own materials, learning how to copy from others without their clear instructions.

I was never sent for sports classes of any sort, I had learnt tennis from watching online matches and Si Yang. Si Yang was self-taught too, only managing to get the minimal coaching from his instructors since elementary school, and he would transfer their tips and tricks back to me to try out.

My real interest didn't lie in tennis, however. It was dancing that I loved so much.

The shadows of the lampposts grew longer, and the world dimmed a little more. People of all groups were walking about on the sidewalks, students, the elderly, young couples, families of three or four. The trees were still now, like scenes captured in a photograph, like unmoving paintings caught in a frame. I wondered when would Si Yang come home. I should help to cook for his dinner before he returns.

My stop had rolled up, and I alighted, remembering the landmarks that I had passed by this morning when Si Yang and I had walked to school together. I quickened my pace, aiming to reach my front door before the sun would set. There were fewer people outside in this part of the street. The park just opposite Si Yang's apartment had a few people out for an evening jog perhaps, or they were walking their dogs out late. I arrived at the entrance of our house, climbed up the front steps and inserted the key into the lock.

I switched on the lights in the apartment and kicked my shoes off at the entrance. Despite Si Yang having both his studies and tennis to focus on, he still kept his apartment surprisingly clean and well-maintained. I dropped my bag on the floor beside the sofa and decided that I should start cooking dinner already. Who knew how long that meeting with Coach Qi would take.

I washed my hands and opened the fridge to see what Si Yang had catalogued inside. A few vegetables, fruits, chicken, and a couple of sauces on the counter. Okay, I could make do with this, I thought as I pulled my ingredients out of the fridge and began to wash the rice.